Dominick DeGangi

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Oct 16, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Dominick was the Principal Trumpet of the Baltimore Symphony in 1965, when I joined the orchestra.
    I had heard of Dominick since my youth in Philadelphia, he was a local legend. He had made it in New York and everywhere he played he was revered.
    Dominick was instrumental in my being asked to audition for the Baltimore Symphony. We had played together in The Philadelphia Little Symphony.
    It was an incredible group. Al Genovese was the principal oboe. Arthur Cohn was the conductor of this free-lance group. I took over the principal trumpet chair when Dom left.
    1965 was the height of the Civil Rights Movement in America. Baltimore, my father birthplace, was not the most liberal of cities on the East Coast.
    Dad advised me not to go there :lol: The brass section, and Dominick in particular, welcomed me.
    I received a letter from Dominick yesterday.......that ITG article :cool:
    Dominick is alive and well living in Texas.
    He is 90 years of age.
    Without Dominick, and many other heroes, there would be no Wilmer.
    Thank you, Mr. DeGangi.
    Wilmer

2. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I spoke to Dom for the first time since I left Baltimore in 1970. Dominick left the orchestra in 1969. Dominick replaced James Burke in the orchestra.
    Scale was $150 :-o The dollar went a long way in those days.
    Mr. DeGangi is a vibrant 90 years of age. Bless him.
    Wilmer

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Wilmer,

What a blessing to have such great memories. (I'm sure they weren't all great... considering the time).

It's also great that those gents are still here and you are all able to maintain your friendships.

We should all be so lucky!!

Keep the stories coming. They are fun to read!

4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thanks for sharing that story! I really feel like I know a little bit more about each of these players every time you think to post something. Great stuff!

I tried to contact Darryl Bayer (from TPIN) who lives in Texas and has been studying with Dominick DeGangi. I haven’t heard back from him though. Apparently there was a nice article in the paper about Mr. DeGangi and I was hoping to add details to his bio in the trumpet rosters project. This is all that I currently have for him in the Baltimore Player Bios folder.

If you happen to talk with him again, could you mention that it would be nice to have a more complete bio if he could provide one?

Thanks,

Derek

P.S. Erich Traugott was in between James Burke and Dominick DeGangi in Baltimore.

5. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Dominick passed away yesterday.
    R.I.P.
    Wilmer

6. texasbrass-darryl

texasbrass-darryl New Friend

Feb 11, 2006
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Funeral for Dominick

This is the email that his wife, Lucile sent to friends and family Thursday:

Dominick passed away this morning, Feb. 9 after a long battle with heart disease. At age of 90 he managed to play two services at the Baptist Church on Christmas eve. He went into congestive heart failure on Christmas day. He put up quite a struggle to stay active til the very end. Viewing will be at 5 to 9 on Friday and funeral services will be at 3 on Saturday at Cashner's Funeral Home, 801 Teas Rd., Conroe, TX. Lucile and the family

Dominick taught one of my teachers, Charlie Lewis when Dominick was trumpet professor at Peabody. When Dominick retired from Miami, he moved to the Woodlands and we played together in the WSO. He would give me tips on style and mention, in a most humbly way, the conductors and composers that he had performed under that would have demanded such interpotation. We went to resturants and concerts together along with "hanging out" back at his house listening to his treasured collection of recordings and stories of his experiences.

Dominick was my mentor and friend for the past 12 years and we lived just a few minutes from each other. My wife and I went flying out the door to be with Luby when we recieved the news of his passing. We are leaving for the service in a few minutes and Lucile has requested that Amazing Grace and Ave Maria be played for him. Hope I can make it without my knees giving out on me.

The trumpet world - no the entire world - has lost a giant of a man.

Darryl Bayer, in memory of Dominick DeGangi

7. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    Wilmer and Darrell,

So sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. It's truly a blessing to encounter such inspirational people in your lifetime. Luckily, you will always have your fond memories of Dominick. Thank You both for sharing your experiences with him. He will be missed.

8. ertatta

ertatta New Friend

Oct 19, 2004
    texas
    i still own the schilke P4 picc that dominick sold me back in '96 along with a yamaha 9610 Eb/D that i sold a couple years ago. i was thinking of selling the P4, but instead will cherish it.. he was a kind-soft spoken man always willing to share to a young immature student. i heard a quote a couple years back from david zauder, where he stated that, "he has never heard a better audition in his life" referring to dominick's audition for the cleveland orchestra back in i believe 1960. i'm very sad to hear of his passing!!

9. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Wilmer,

Did you see the nice article in the most recent ITG Journal about Mr. DeGangi? It a very nice bio with some great pictures!

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    My condolences to you, Wilmer.

His life was a testament to the most beautiful part of this business which is passing down information and good will through music as Mr. DeGangi. It also says something about you, Wilmer, that you were gracious and smart enough to listen to people that would take the time to help.

He lives on through you everyday.

ML