Don Rugg - CarolBrass - CMS

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Last February 15th an order was placed with Don Rugg at California Music Supply for a custom trumpet and a heavy trim kit to go with it.
    The horn was shipped to me on May 10th, but without all of the accessories that were to be included (heavy caps/buttons, thin flat buttons/stems, etc.).

Mr. Rugg has become very non-responsive lately to my email inquiries as to a ship date. His last response was "It will be shipped when humanly possible". He has not responded at all to my last emails. It used to be that he would reply almost immediately...now total silence.

It is sad to see his customer service degrade in this manner, especially after I have been a cheerleader for him and his line of CarolBrass trumpets on this forum.

Wonder if he has become ill, or if there are other issues interfering with his business. I was prepared to order a third trumpet from him, but as of now I will go elsewhere to do business.

Has anyone else here had a similar experience with California Music Supply?

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Don't know Don, never done business with CMS--but this is just a thought. Is he awaiting shipment of the omitted items from the manufacturer? People become very upset when that happens, but the dealer has no control over it. Also, sooner or later dealers give up answering the same question over and over again--and give a response identical or similar to the one you received.

Truthfully, waiting for them to make custom parts may take quite a while--just ask most who have ordered a custom horn from Bach.

3. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Try Trent Austin at Austin Custom Brass.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The parts in question are not custom. They are "off the shelf" and Don has them in his possession. All he was going to do was to re-plate the items in copper brass to match the finish inside the bell of the trumpet.
    Since the order was placed 2/15/11, more than adequate time has passed in order to fulfill the order as promised.

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Then you have every right to be upset--I understood the question to be referring to custom parts coming from the Carol factory.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The trumpet was a custom "one off" model...and turned out very nice. You can see it at the CarolBrass website.

The trim kit was a one size fits all from Carol, only in the heavy version. And it is not like Don has been bombarded with emails...perhaps every two or three weeks to get a possible ship date.

He was always so great to do business with before. This is the second trumpet purchased from him. I suspect something major has happened to his business. His Ebay rating has dropped as well.

Oh well, life goes on.

7. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    The last (and only) time I spoke to him he was having some rather serious health issues. That was a few months ago.

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    You could try the old fashion way of calling CMS?

ORDERS: (888)419-0486
    INFO: (909)782-4520
    FAX: (909)743-5899
    MON-FRI 9 AM-5 PM PACIFIC TIME

9. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion

All he will get is an answering machine!!
    I was all set to purchase a Carol Trumpet from him, based on a recommendation by a member on these forums.
    After 6 attempts at getting a real live person on the telephone I went elsewhere!
    When I call a ### and all I get is an answering machine there is noway I am going to do business with somebody who I cannot mven talk to in person

Good Luck!!

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Jedi,

Sorry to hear that. I know I am at least one of the people who dropped Relic's name in a forum we were talking in. I haven't spoken to Don for a couple of years, but it was always good. Talking to Don about trumpets is right up there with chatting with Fred Cirksena.

While this has got to be really frustrating for the OP and others in the same boat all I can say is hang in there a little longer. If Don remains true to his character things will work out. Don is one of the good guys.