Don Rugg - CarolBrass - CMS

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I'm an old softie and inclined to give a little leeway to people with health issues, if that's true, since I have my own. Hey. The road if life is certainly paved with good intentions and I'm sure you'll get this contretemps resolved.

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    It was my guess that Don Rugg - CMS was experiencing financial and/or health issues. And I (like many of you) can state first hand Don is a very nice guy.

Perhaps I should be happy that the trumpet is in my hands and let it go at that. As one who has done business with the "Brassmaster", I fully know what real frustration is all about! The Brassmaster seemed to be a nice guy too...

3. Conntribution

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Let's not confuse wolves and sheep.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    There is no confusion here. Don is a nice guy...period! I have purchased two trumpets from him.

But it is easy to come across as a nice guy, and that is why Mr. Williams was referenced. While he was very pleasant in the email and phone communications, getting him to follow through on ANYTHING was like pulling teeth!

Simply a word to the wise...

5. Conntribution

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    That's it, nice guys like Don are sheep and other guys, well.....

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    People, really.

Don has serious health issues, try to be empathetic.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  7. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Perhaps Don could do himself, as well as his customers a huge favor by simply stating what is going on. We would all be sympathetic to the issues if we were properly informed and operated from a position of knowledge rather than being in the dark.

Financial / medical issues are something none of us are immune from.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    When a person is seriously ill the last thing they need is to tell people they
    hardly know all their problems.

We, and I say we because I have found myself doing what you are doing, have become very impatient and demanding in these days.

I know Don has spent a lot of his time talking to me on the phone AFTER I had already decided on buying a trumpet from him. He didn't need to, the sale was already in the books. He did so because he is a gentleman and willing to share his experience and knowledge with others freely.

Perhaps we need to start trying to understand how valuable the time is of people that
    have far more life experiences than we do and value the time they have given us rather than being so quick to publicly chastise them for not meeting our own selfish idea of what is "prompt" service.

Once when I was 12 I said something really insensitive and stupid after a friend died
    in an accident. Most of my classmates and the family of the victim heard about my harsh words and I paid dearly for it. For weeks I was like a pariah in school.

Now, God forbid that Don should leave this world any time soon.
    However, think about how your words might be taken in that tragic light.

Greg

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Greg,

As a small business owner, If I am not able (for any reason) to meet my obligations, the first thing I do is to advise my clients as to what is going on. That way everyone is in the loop and there are no misunderstandings.

And if one is gravely ill, there is nothing to be embarrassed out and no reason to keep it from your customers. People most often times will rally and support the person when this is the case.

Does simply asking for information come under the definition of being impatient? Don (or a representative) could have simply stated the facts of the matter.

Would it be fair to consider a 5 month lead time a "selfish idea of prompt service"?

As a customer of his, there was never any hesitation to sing his praises here and elsewhere.

If there are serious issues affecting his ability to meet his obligations, Don would be well counseled to make it known.

Myron

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Wondering about the silence in this case in no way impunes Mr. Rugg. Any who have had dealings with him know he is a good guy, and without information worry and speculation will rule.

I am sure none of us wish him anything but well. I agree with Myron that, whatever the situation, some word would help quiet the worries and benefit the business.

At one point in my dealings with him he wrote me that his daughter was helping out with the biz. Perhaps she might do so now.