Donations for Cuban Musicians--please read?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DubbaCTrumpetMSU, Nov 1, 2010.

1. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Hi all,
    It's been a while since I've posted on TM in general, but this is the first place I thought of to ask about this. I am traveling with my jazz ensemble to Cuba in December, and we are going to be one of the first groups to perform in Cuba in years(right behind Wynton). I am trying to see if I can get advice from anyone on who to ask about donations of things like valve oil, reeds and whatnot. Obviously, I'm not a 501c organization, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help these guys, but who knows. I just know that in Cuba its pretty difficult to get basic things like valve oil, reeds, and cleaning supplies. Any advice, TM?

Russ

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    How about some horns? How much can you take with you and "forget" when you leave? :-?

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    You might try starting up a web page, like a Wordpress blog, about trumpets for Cuba, then mention it a bunch of places, spread the word.

4. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Alex--good idea--I'll have to get one started and see if I can spread it around a bit. ANA--that would be fantastic--of course at this point I'm just trying to get started with anything! I just know they have problems getting some of the things we probably take for granted over here--so I figured I could fill some bags with stuff and take them with me.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Bravo, DubbaC! Hope you enjoy your trip ..... My father went recently to Cuba on the (now defunct) Elder Hostel program, with my Aunt. They were impressed with the music and the kind nature of the people they met. Maybe you could bring back clips of your concert? Cuban music is what got me started playing trumpet!:play:

Turtle