Done with acquiring, almost done with divesting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Apr 10, 2012.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Here I was, the man with the massive Buescher collection, looking at thousands of dollars for restoration (because, why have a collection that looks like crap?) when I said to myself, "dude, what are you smoking? Not only will you almost never play most of these, you have a couple you really like and will play almost all of the time anyways!"

So, most of the excess is gone. All of the cornets are paid for, if not shipped. Most extra trumpets are gone. Just decided to offer a couple more (see another posting for those if they're refused by the person to whom I offered them).

Just for entertainment value, here's the list of what I'm keeping and why. Dates are approximate.

1949 "The 400" Model 225. The horn that started it all. Was originally my grandfather's, and is the horn I learned to play on. I don't play it much but of course I'm keeping it. Fully restored.

1955 "Lightweight 400" Model 217. Currently my daily player go-to horn. Lots of fun to play. Fully restored.

1951 "Lightweight 400" Model 228. All brass instead of the 217's brass and nickel-silver. Intending to get this one silver plated with gold inside the bell. Intended to be alternate daily player and concert horn. Unrestored.

1946 "Aristocrat" Model 205. Restored with red lacquer on the body, gold lacquer everywhere else. Christmas horn!

1939 "Custom Built" Model 240. Everyone needs a narrow-wrap horn and this one plays like a champ! It's absolutely gorgeous. Reason enough, I think. Fully restored.

1890 Cornet. Model? Don't know. This thing just needed rescuing. Its serial number is 306! Unrestored (but it's in the plan).

And, just because:

1946 Holton 48 Deluxe. I was born in Wisconsin. So was this Holton. No more needs to be said. Fabulous, attractive horn. Fully restored.

I think I have enough horns. No need to "collect" anything I'm not going to play except for the couple I decided to keep. I count myself extremely fortunate that some old and new friends decided to give me money and new homes to the horns I'm not keeping. I hope you get much happiness from them.

Tom

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It still hurts to let babies go...............

I congratulate you for your ability to let go. I am a real weakling in comparison.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
  4. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Ouch! I bet letting that baby go really hurt. You know, I sold a fully restored WWII King Liberty that played awesome. Only reason I let it go was because it went to a friend that plays in a Latin band for a living and he was always hounding me about it. He would randomly come over to see my collection and play test my horns while we both jammed together and ticked off my wife. LOL So, after much persistence on his part, after he noticed I didn't play it as much due to the back pressure I would feel in the high register from this horn. I finally gave in, but only because his Strad model 43 was stolen. The condition was that if he ever wanted to sell the horn it must come back to me first for the same selling price if still mint. Needless to say, he does not visit as much anymore and when he does he only brings his mouthpiece. Hahahaha I think he believes I'll harass him to sell it back to me. Contrary to that, I sought out a King Super 20 dual bore silver Sonic Symphony trumpet. That baby is one trumpet I will never sell. It is very well made and plays like a dream. Its designed to help with endurance it the highest of registers and I can tell you that is help me sustain my lip longer that I ever have before. Anyways, I'm getting off topic here. My signature list is my current collection and do not crave others at this point in time.. See how long that last huh?

5. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I know what you mean. I have accumulated a collection myself, and plan to narrow it down to 3-4. The problem is, everytime I contemplate what to sell, I get stuck..... I've got 18 seriously collectible pristine horns and don't REALLY want or need to sell any of them ;)

6. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    Congrats, Tom.

I keep trying to do the same, yet, I keep failing.