DON'T CRACK YOUR KNUCKLES!!!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Bugler997, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    I recently found out that I might, in a few years, need surgery on my left middle finger, to remove a ganglion/cyst. I don't know if it's from cracking my knuckles, but it may be.

So all that crap your parents told you about not cracking knuckles might be true after all. So please do everyone a favor and leave them alone.

2. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Heh, I've conciously cracked my knuckles less than 100 times in my life, and my fingers (minus the two permanently jammed ones from basketball) are the only things that aren't with some sort of pain in my body. :-?

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    My wife never cracked her knuckles but she gets ganglia relatively frequently. I, on the other hand (pun?) can crack my knuckles literally with one hand behind my back (press fingertips against palm of hand). I've never had a ganglion.

All generalisations are dangerous.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've been cracking my knuckles since the second or third grade so that's about 25-26 years. No ganglion cysts yet.

5. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I've been cracking my knuckles since 3rd grade...

I've tried to stop, but if I don't crack them, my fingers get stiff and uncomfortable.

Lara

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I can't crack my knuckels... they just don't do it, I don't get it...

7. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
  8. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Yeah, my mom was always telling me how I'd get arthritits from cracking my knuckles. Well, I'm 44 and don't have any arthritis. Ditto for loss of grip strength as I can still bend the heck out of a tin can...........

9. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I crack my knuckles everyday. I can crack them 24/7. All i have to do is squeeze them into a fist the right way and the index and middle fingers pop. Not quite as loud as the regualr way, but its kinda wierd.

Maybe im jstu a freak? who knows, lol.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    That's what I do. I think it's the first knuckle on the middle finger that pops... both when pressure is applied and when it is relieved. I can repeat it "ad nauseum" (especially for those around me!) So I don't think it's the fluid "cavitating" (the only thing that cavitates is my stomach... when I'm hungry) but perhaps a ligament being stretched and "popping" in and out of place. Can do it with both hands.