Don't even think about lying.

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Liad Bar-EL, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Uh oh...

-cw-

2. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Liad,

There have been so many searches for "scientific" approaches to lie detection over the last few centuries, that this just another fruitless search.

As a polygraph examiner, I have conducted hundreds of examinations and still have over a 95% success rate. The court systems of most states refuse to accept the polygraph as scientific evidence anymore, not because of the instrument itself, but because of the lack of standardization of the methods.
    Too bad, as work has drizzled to a stop. Polygraph work was the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Take care,

Gary Lapine

3. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Gary,

How do we know if you are not lying about this? .....................Just kidding.

Israel has developed a new type of 'remote' lie detector (forgot the link and model name) to be used at airports.

Just curious, can you beat a lie detector?

Liad Bar-EL

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I would think a good dose of Inderal might help...........

;-)

5. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Liad,

I performed examinations in criminal cases, which meant that the subject had a lot to lose, which is an integral part of the testing. Where the polygraph had its failings was in the use for pre-employment. There are several techniques or methods that were used, which were not standardized throughout the industry. For example, ask anyone on this forum or the TH forum about which is the best horn? That was the same response from polygraphers all over the country.

In criminal cases, I only had one person beat the examination, and that was because I did not have critical information that would have eliminated a few of my questions. The subject however, did not beat the court authorized test and remained in prison.

You see it is the method or question technique that actually determines the lie detection and not the instrument. The polygraph instrument is merely a recording device which documents through tracings on a rolling piece of paper. The tracings merely show a timely reaction to the question asked, and then are measured against other questions, which a truthful person would respond.

I was polygraphed by the CIA when I applied for a job with them as a polygrapher. They used the Steeler method, which was the first method ever used and developed in the 30's. I reacted to a question, which they did not know what created it. They then proceeded to interrogate me. Since they could not detain me, I told them I had enough. I determined that even if I were to have been hired by them, that the method was incapable of determining cause. I used the Backster method, which I could prove in court where and what the reactions were determined. I became a court qualified expert in a murder trial in Boston. I was able to determine the perpetrator, locate evidence and actually get a confession. I conducted most of my exams in prison settings, and was treated like royalty by the guards whenever I entered any of the prisons. In fact, the Salem Jail, which is now closed, even had electricity and a light put into the room that I used.

I really miss that job.

Gary

6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Gary,

You need to bring your equipment to ITG.... what fun we could have...

"so, what mouthpiece were you using during the recording of the Strauss Alpine on Nov 3rd, 1982?"

or

" Mr. Monette... are you really French?" :lol:

7. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    Well, I guess it beats the Guantanamo school of trumpet! :lol: