DON'T KILL YOURSELF

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Castle Bravo, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Had a bigband gig over the weekend, and I was 'screaming' when the part said 'scream' in the song THINGS AINT WHAT THEY USED TO BE, and I passed out (into a chair behind me, luckily) and was useless for about 10 seconds. That was 48 hours ago, and I still don't quite feel like my brain is running on all cylinders.

I was belting out a high G (It felt easy so I was really laying into it, shaking on it, etc...), and it occurred to me that I only had 2 bars left in the phrase, so I attempted to go up to the dubba (in the same breath) for the last 2 bars. I had successfully completed this feat without too much trouble twice ealier in the week, but I guess 3rd time is a charm.

No matter how efficient your embouchure is, no matter how many times you have laid waste to the first 10 rows with some serious screaming action, know your limits, and err on the side of caution. Holding on to these high notes under less than ideal cicumstances can induce a transient ischemic attack - don't allow your brain to go through to many of these.

(sound clip on the way, it may be a few days)

2. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    So, who's goin' to inherit your Eclipse horns? :evil: :bleah:
    Just kiddin'! Hope you'll be fine in time for your holidays ! :cool:

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    So you were able to survive Iraq..... But the trumpet might get you! I always knew it was a dangerous instrument :-)

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    hahahaha sissy
    -J

5. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Oh c'mon Jarrett, you know the tune I'm talkin about... I know you never passed out doing it - you apparently had the brains for a more conservative approach - but not by much If I remember correctly :-? come to think of it, you were pretty lucky getting away with your screaming in WALLS OF JERICHO
    hehehe FREAK :cool:

6. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    Been there...done that! On the same tune doing the same thing! Still haven't lived it down :oops:

7. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Last year, at band camp, our lead trumpet player hit a dubba C (by accident...he was really blowing that horn and it just kinda happened...) and passed out in the middle of our show. I passed out from the heat later on...

When I was trying out the YTR8345 I hit a high C...and immediately my vision went black and I was falling. Thankfully, the horn didn't get hurt. (I however, had a nice bruise on my posterior that hurt for a week. Tile floors suck!)

Lara

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hmmm... maybe I'm not blowin' hard enough... Never had the opportunity to pass out playing a book down. I have gotten dizzy/lightheaded once or twice on the DHC's. Anyways, back to the axe. Some of us poor souls actually have to practice. You freaks, "I think I'll play a g above DHC... just for the hell of it." LOL. Freaks.

9. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    i onve heard abt a guy who DIED playing the trumpet. he had an anyuerism <sp?> and died during a gig
    my band director never pushed us over the edge after we heard abt that story

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If Maynard hasn't keeled over from an aneurysm yet, I'm not going to worry about it too much. Also, I once read a thing about Bill Chase that said that Maynard fired him because he kept passing out on the bandstand - not that I think that it's good for you, because I don't, but pressure in the skull and passing out (or at least greying out and getting a major head rush) is something that sort of goes hand in hand with playing the trumpet.