Don't work, Play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Last time I have some issues with playing some notes with ease, I'm talking G en A just above the staff, they were becomming harder.
    I was way to much seeing my playing as technical stuff, working to get better in the future... But it had the wrong effect.
    (It kind of stopped "being music")

I just ended a jam session with some easy jazz backingtracks, and wow.
    Just playing, not thinking, really helped me in a very fast way.

I could hit G above the staff like it was a G in the staff again at ppp, thinking "Damn this is easy".
    I litteraly had to do nothing, just "blow and think about the note/tone"
    I've had this feeling before, but it disappears from time to time which is frustrating.

Made this can help someone with simillair issues :play:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Now you need to do this for weeks and months, then you "own" this way of playing.

Think about what is involved to get there first:

Your level of skill has to be at or above the job at hand (pick those jobs carefully)
    Your rhythm has to be spot on (groove is always work in progress)
    Your attitude has to be spot on (I am not sure that we can work on this. Most successful players that I know were born with it)
    Your body has to be in a decent state (sleep/low tension)
    Your mind has to be "free" (BIG topic for another thread)

We work to develop the state of relaxed as well as learning to control the adrenaline that makes our playing inspired, fresh, anxious. I would change the title of the thread to: Work, then play.

In the light of what I posted, why was this session different for you than previous ones?

3. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    The biggest difference was that I was just playing (improvisation) without having to think.
    In my other sessions I do technical stuff and studies/etudes, which feel more like working/studying not "making music".
    Which, for me, makes things like higher notes harder.
    It's probably more a psychological thing that when I see the notes higher on the staff I think "Oh no, these are high notes I have to hit them".

I think I have to implement this in my daily routine or at least weekly.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    When I used to play Bass guitar with a band my fingers would seem to struggle during practice but on stage was different, I didn't seem to have to think about playing at all I just played and played way better. I always thougt that that was the coolest it was like I really felt the music and it was just flowing through me

5. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    I don't know if it's practical but if you could become familiar enough with the etudes and technical studies that you can play them without music, you might be able to play them without thinking as much, and the playing would be easier. I have found something similar with the piano, that when I learn a piece well enough to play it without music, I can set the music aside and just let the music happen without as much thought, and it usually sounds better. On pieces like that putting the music up and trying to read and play only confuses me and the playing suffers.

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I've heard the following satement attributed to Charlie Parker:
    Learn the instrument, learn the music. Then forget all that ***t and just PLAY.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys,

as much as we may have some story to the contrary, miracles do NOT HAPPEN ON STAGE. If your playing does not have an incredible solid foundation, you are dangerous to any ensemble on stage. We can occasionally get lucky, but it is ONLY that.

If we have the solid base, audience/band reaction can inspire us to play very spontaneously. Don't forget, we only have the patterns that we have really learned. Our quality on stage truly reflects our preparation.

All of the pros mentioned spent heavy duty time in the shed. No wishful thinking or outright deception. Don't work in my opinion can't work.