Doo Dah Doot Dit?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jun 24, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm using Jazz Anyone by Willie Thomas. Early on he has you using vowles like Doo Dah Doot Dit when playing. How would my TM brothers and sisters explain the reason and expected effect of this.........thanks, crow

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    In jazz, to end a note sounding you generally use a tongue stop. The end of the note is just as important as the attack.

In classical music, tongue stop isn't used nearly as much.

Those syllables are just helping you getting the hang of tongue stopping your notes.

3. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    I am not familiar with that book. These syllables remind me of Jimmy Maxwell’s “The First Trumpeter.†He uses these syllables in his book for tunes such as "Dirty Gertie," "Toastie Woastie," and "Dot-N-Da-Dah." I once studied briefly with a trumpet teacher who used them, which seemed to help. However, what really helped the most for me was listening to the recordings and trying to imitate the style. The combination of a lot of listening over a period of time with syllables sounds like a good option.

Janell

4. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I have been told for the past few years that we should NEVER stop the note with the tongue. Can anyone explain the logic in not doping it?
    JR

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Not ever using the tongue to stop the note is just plain wrong! How else do we play staccato for example - choke the air off with the throat? Train our entire breathing apparatus to emit short bursts?
    There is a difference between the obsession to keep the air flowing and what is needed to articulate. If we have breathing issues, practice sessions with continuous flowing air could be useful to work out the problems. Real life playing has MUCH different demands regardless if we are playing symphonic or jazz.
    Starting and stopping the air with the tongue keeps our breathing technique intact!

6. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    This topic is interesting when it comes to classical music. I have had teachers that swear by stopping certain notes with the tongue on a regular basis and others that say you should never, ever do it.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    All of the tongue stop stuff is most useful in big band settings. If you are playing in a combo, then it is really up to you and whoever you are playing with to determine note lengths.

In a big band, if you are reading a chart for the first time, there is a general set of rules to go by such as playing quarter notes short unless written otherwise.
    The best thing to do in a big band is follow the lead player. He is the one who will direct the rest of the band on how long notes should be played and how to phrase each line.

For example:

[​IMG]

This should be tongued something like Dat Dat deedoodooDat

Notice how saying Dee gives a different stress than saying doo even though the rhythm is the same.The two middle 8th notes have a bit lighter attack because the in the line, those are the two notes of less importance (although make sure you always play them. Less importance isn't the greatest way to word it)

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The theory is that staccato means "separated" rather than "short," and that even the shortest note has some sustain to it; that the loudest part of a given note is the "attack." In practice, however, many conductors do desire the occasional "tat!" :dontknow:

9. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    Sounds like "Scat" syllables to me!..........if you can say it, you can play it!:dontknow:

10. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I am recording Arranger/Producer.

To play in a (non-symphonic at least) section you HAVE to be able to communicate quickly like that.
    It is much more accurate than any notation.
    We just talk through the line and the everyone nails it.

jmp