Dotted Quaver/semi quaver

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Jan 1, 2012.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Hy everyone happy new year. Can someone explain the following please ( i do have a teacher but it will be two weeks before i can ask the following) in 'Tunes and studies for the Trumpet' by Bram Wiggins Book 2. pp25 'Mazurka' i cannot understand why the following occurs. The piece is in 3/4 time the first bar is as follows, dotted quaver/semi quaver/dotted quaver/semi quaver followed by a crotchet, the dotted quavers and semi quavers are all beamed accross i,e all joined. However on the 6th bar the same occurs but the the dotted quavers and semi quavers are not beamed accross i,e dotted quaver/semi quaver dotted quaver/semi quaver crotchet. what is the significance? why the differance? Bar 3 and 4 both contain three sets of 'doted quavers/semi quaver' which are not beamed accross, why are they not beamed accross? I am assuming that there must be a slight emphasis on the first note of each dotted quaver/semi quaver when they are not beamed together and when they are beamed together it is only the first dotted quaver which has the emphasis. Sorry if that is not clear but any help would be good [​IMG]

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It could be to show the beginning of a new phrase.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Feel like I am in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" with the talk of quavers and semiquavers.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    We recently played a British-arranged big band piece in brass band and the instructions printed at the top of the page read, "Remember to swing your quavers." We all got a good laugh out of it.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The mazurka is a type of polish folk dance that has a rhythm of a single dotted 8th/16th (quaver/semiquaver) followed by 2 quarters. Generally the third beat gets a accent. There is no musical significance to beaming in this case as the dance melodies generally repeat after 8 bars. I just suspect sloppy notation. A difference in articulation would be notated with accents, staccato or tenuto marking.

6. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Rowuk many thanks for your reply i was begining to give up on an answer.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am in a folk dancing group here and the Mazurka step is one that is used - even in German dances. Very often we can find easy answers when we leave the trumpet world. I like contact sports like dancing.

8. cmg

cmg Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    Michigan
    ...but more importantly, what horn do you prefer to use while dancing the Mazurka? :-)

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Shirley Horn