Double and Triple Tounging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jul 5, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I'm currently working on my double tounging and triple tounging. How long does it usually take to master these two techniques?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Like most things related to Trumpet, these techniques are never "mastered". All you can do is continue to grow and improve in any area. Also, a lot depends on where you are in your overall development. But, with a competent instructor to critique your development, you should be able to use them at a level roughly equal to your overall level of playing within a few weeks of regular and effective practice.
    Good luck.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you start slowly and resist the urge to go faster than you can cleanly play, a usable double tongue takes a month or 2 and a triple tongue 6 months. This assumes that you have a teacher paying attention and that you are spending 15-20 minutes a day on tonguing-

Carnival of Venice stuff can take years.

4. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Thanks, that helps a lot. Currently my double tounging is in good control, except I can't toungue different notes quickly, like double tounging up a scale and down a scale. My triple tounging is awful, and I can only triple tounge a few times before my toungue messes up. I guess I have a long way to go.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For me, multiple tonguing is a "bang your head against the wall" kind of thing. Pull out you Arban book, and play the exercises until you are worn out. Keep your tongue relaxed, "melted in your mouth," while playing. Do this for a couple of months and wait for the miracle.

Have fun!

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    As mentioned use Arbans - great exercises to help you.

I made a poor mistake on Triple-tongue when I tried to self-teach (30+years ago). Instead of Te-Te-Ke, I found it easier to do Te-Ke-Te, and it worked for my brain faster. I would put a token Te in at the beginning of each run, and so it was Te Te-Ke-Te, Te-ke-Te etc... It sounded OK and passed normal playing.

In the end when I had to play with others and it did not sound quite right, and I tended to have extra notes in wrong places. So again get good critique, and practice the T-T-K .
    I still have issues with this that haunt me.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Their are aspects of learning to double and triple tongue that can't be talked about. A teacher has to hear you play and monitor how you are playing. Do you have a web cam?