Double buzz... again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jul 28, 2013.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I started getting double buzzes about 2 weeks ago. I fixed it by taking a few days off and my playing was great after that. The problem resurfaced 3 days ago. I tried taking a day off but it did not work. It's as if I cannot play trumpet anymore! Help!!!

2. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Can someone please help me??? I'm trying everything I've read/heard/watched but nothing is working... I'm starting to think that worst case scenario I might have to quit.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Make sure you are hydrated. Sometimes a double buzz comes from pressing the lips together (north/south) too much.

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I get “doubles” now and then when warming up in my low range, I’ve tried to figure out how to re-create them at will, but can’t figure it out. If I work at it I can make it happen now and then. I’m assuming my chops are very relaxed when this happens. Also I will get Doubles in my middle/upper range at the end of an endurance practice routine, when my chops are completely exhausted and notes are hard to produce with minimal pressure, so I’m pretty sure that in this state of fatigue, pressure plays a factor and most likely contributes to the Doubles. With that being said, is there a chance that you have changed something in your playing and are relying more on pressure to get your notes than prior ? As you may be aware, when there is a negative change in your playing, the first IMMEDIATE, sub-conscious reaction your body will make is to revert to pressure to get the job done. This brings me back to the foundation of playing, Strong Core Breath Support, with a relaxed upper body, minimal pressure on the chops with supported corners, concentrating on moving the air directly through your horn PAST your bell ! Remember to think of a strong, supported CORE sound…
    Maybe someone else can shed some light on this subject also..

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Relax and blow through the trumpet. Do you have a teacher that could help you out? I can have the same issue when fatigued and "press on" to do more when I should stop and rest. If this continues to happen, it sounds like a mechanics issue that a teacher, in person, might be able fix.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Similar to what others have said, I sometimes get a double buzz when I've been playing too much and abusing my chops. I don't know the specific cause of my double buzz. But I assume a bad habit creeps in, due to fatigue. For me, the solution is to take it easy for a day or two, and then get back into a more healthy playing routine. Here's an interesting video.

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QOVWn8_GQIQ

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I am well hydrated. Tried opening up. Didn't work.

8. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I haven't changed anything in my playing. I do have the sound that I want in my head, but my lips just don't respond to that...

9. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I've tried working with my air stream, but didn't help. I have a teacher, but he is out of town. I've emailed my current teacher and two of my past teachers, but their advice isn't quite working out.

10. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    The weird thing is I haven't been practicing that intensively. I've already taken a day off, but that didn't help. I've already watched that video, but couldn't find the cause for my case.