Double buzz... again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jul 28, 2013.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I hope you're able to find out what's going on.

Let me add one other point to what I said. For me, sometimes the problem is what I do AFTER taking the day off. After a break, my chops usually feel great. In this context, because I'm feeling great, I can be tempted to push too hard. So if I have to take a day off to rest my chops, I try to be careful on the first day or two back.

Mike

2. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Actually, even after taking the break, my chops felt horrible. I follow this video when coming back to the horn. Hi Kids comming back to the horn after a several days off. - YouTube

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    The good people on this site are merely reminding you of the foundations of correct playing form. You have to realize that no one on here can “Fix” your problem, only you can. You made the statement that you have not changed anything in your playing, and nothing anyone said on here is helping including the advise of multiple teachers, although up until two weeks ago you did not have a double buzz. Something HAS changed to cause this, otherwise you wouldn’t have this double buzz, right ! Problems on trumpet don’t just magically appear, they are always the direct result of an action. Without seeing you play, no one will be able to give you the advice you are looking for. Taking time off does not fix problems on trumpet, correct playing form and correct practice fixes problems, personally I think this double buzz has you quite flustered and you want to fix it so bad you are not concentrating on the basics. If I were in your shoes I would be looking for a teacher that can watch me play and analyze why this is happening, and I wouldn’t wait to see if it goes away on it’s own. Otherwise your just shooting in the dark, and that can easily cause more problems.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay... if it were me
    I would check to see where my ring is showing up on my lips.
    Now this is a guess... because I am not there to see what is going on.
    Do you have a flat rim mp like a Back or a more rounded mp like a Shilke.
    My GR is more rounded and my lips can slip into the cup .. weird things happen when I do that.
    Also.. if I over blow and have my lips too much inside the mp the inner part of the lip can get into the action ... I would guess that is part of the double buzz thing.
    also .. maybe it's a dental issue .. is something happening with your teeth? You might be adjusting your jaw to compensate.
    I honestly hate throwing all these things out there because it's really never good for a trumpet player to start getting into his head too much while trying to play. Tension and tightness start happening and then the whole thing goes south.
    okay.. and finally ... when my tone starts sounding a little "spread" I try to make the aperature of my embrouchure more round instead of oval shaped .. at least for practice and long tones. It might help here.
    well that's about all I've got.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was going to suggest that too VB ... but I was afraid too
    and that vid is one of my all time favs

7. BengeMan

BengeMan New Friend

Aug 8, 2013
    New Orleans
    Hey man,
    I'm in trumpet rehab. I was ill and had to give the trumpet for about two years. I've been clawing my way back to my old tone, intonation, support, everything for the last year. When faced with a major project in a few months (a silent movie score), I found myself really pushing myself at the end of May. The DBs set in big time, and my rehab progress started going rapidly backwards, even after taking days off now and then. I took a trip to New York in June, brought my D horn (it fit in my carry on), planning to keep trying to work through it. Did not work out. The hotel room just would not allow me to play beyond a pp warm-up. I ended up not playing for six days. I thought it would ruin everything. Surprise! I came home, picked up my Bb, and had my best tone, accuracy and flexibility I've had in years. I've been careful to stop practicing before it hurts, and lay off the horn almost entirely the day of gigs. I've been playing oh so well ever since - and it's fun again.
    My suggestion - as much as it'll kill you, put the horn away, completely away, for a week and walk around the park instead. Maybe a little yoga.