double buzz for no reason

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Sep 3, 2012.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    ive been practicing the last few weeks on my low, middle and high register evenly and ive tried to rest for as long as i play but for some reason i ALWAYS have a double buzz up in the G on top of the staff. i cant seem to make it go away

NO it's not because of tired lips ive made sure that i do not over play so as soon as my lips start feeling a little stiff in practice i stop

i guess the only reason i can think of is because my lips arent strong enough to be up there and not produce a double buzz, but i just cant believe that
    my fellow trumpet players in band DONT even practice but they can hit a G-C above the staff no problem no double buzz and i play the same things they do.

and dont anyone dare say anything about mouthpieces because blaming the equipment ive been working with over 4 years is a LOAD OF CRAP
    i used to be able to play fine above the staff but ive gotten worse for some reason

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Try to open or close your aperture. The G tends to be flat or sharp, so dont forget to lip it the correct way.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    might I mention that it might actually be your bottom lip that is vibrating too much. Usually we only want the top lip as the vibrating mass -- well, I am just throwing that out there, obviously I believe it is from being too tired/not strong enough in the lips.

D.C. Al fine likes this.
  4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Sounds like an aperture/embouchure issue to me, whether is be a loose embouchure or corners. Remember you can be relaxed, but not loose. Actually I think KT may be on to something though. Without being there, honestly, there is little we can do.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm not laughing because I went through an episode in recent memory somewhat similar. It came and it went in about 2-3 weeks.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Things that I found to make a double buzz...
    buzzing using the mouthpiece alone .. not say to do that or not just had it happen once when I was doing alot of mp buzzing
    practicing alot of soft playing ... once again.. I think there is great benefit to practicing soft but the aperture can close up too much...
    Too much lip in the mp ... if your lips slip inside too much and get scrunched. well weird things can happen.
    I guess the question is have you changed anything in your practice routine?

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Dan you've aske for a lot of advice recently and frankly I have one thing to say with respect PRIVATE TUTOR. Even when your teacher suggested something to sort you out you had to check it with us here, we cannot see or hear you. You have to trust that they know what they are doing. BTW I'm with KT over work at band camp

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I see a paradox: You're asking for advice/seeking a solution to the double buzz but have eliminated a major factor that could cause this. At least indirectly or in part. Not trying to dismiss your thoughts or hurt your feelings but seriously how can you be so certain that mouthpiece is definitely not a factor at all? Couldn't it at least be a minor factor? What makes you so fiercely resistant to even considering the mere possibility?

Makes me think of that fictitious character Sherlock Holmes who said:

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

The double buzz is ALWAYS an indication of one or two matters:

1. Under conditioned chops.

2. Over trained ones.

Some trumpet players can take ten years off the horn and blow a decent G above High C. I've never done taken that long of an absence but back in 1984 or so i did lay off for five months. Then I up and pulled the horn out of the case: Picked off a solid High F first note of the day on cold chops. COLD! No warm up. Oddly enough I felt very confident that (despite the lay off) I'd hit the F dead on accurately. And so i did.

So don't compare yourself to the other guys. Their chops are different than yours. Doesn't necessarily mean that they have advantages compared to you. Not over all or in the long run. You could be right on the cusp of a MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH in your embouchure performance and not even know it.

Roy Roman did this back in the 1970's. His chops were beaten to a pulp. Practically in tears he got embouchure help and within a few months was playing for the President. He became known as one of the best high note players of his generation.

So you don't really know where you are going. Thus you should not necessarily eliminate a factor such as mouthpiece selection in determining the cause of your recent problems.

"What was right yesterday is wrong today. What was wrong yesterday may be right today"

9. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Update on this? I've struggled with double buzz in the same area on the horn. In my experience, this is true:

coolerdave likes this.