Double Buzz HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, May 24, 2007.

1. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    In december of 2006 I changed my embouchure with the guidance of my teacher. All has seemed to go great, however recently I have developed a double buzz and I cant seem to get rid of it. It only occurs between Second line G and top line F. I can make myself do it, but I cant stop it when it happens on its own. Any advice?
    Josh Ritchie

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For me, the double-buzz occurs when my jaw is a tad bit too high. Dropping the jaw makes it go away raising it makes it happen. But that's for me. For others it may be an AIR ISSUE or PRESSURE or HORN ANGLE. How do you make your double buzz? Does not consciously doing the opposite make it go away? If not, maybe you haven't pinpointed your cause quite yet.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

3. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I occasionally get a double buzz towards the upper register.
    When it happens I buzz without the mouthpiece for 5-10 minutes concentrating on good focus to the aperture and stable firm corners, this usually fixes it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have only had two students in the last 20 years with this problem, so I am not really a big expert, but in both cases we solved it by laying off of any range building exercizes (nothing above G on top of the staff) or heavy playing gigs for a month.
    We concentrated on a pretty, focussed, dense sound up to about mf, never practiced until the chops got tired (many short playing sessions during the day) and spent time buzzing on the mouthpiece then playing the horn (increasing chop strength). That I called melody month.
    In both cases 4 weeks was enough.

5. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Rowuk,
    It is interesting you say what you have. In the past few months I have been working to increase my range by a couple of half steps. Are you saying that I should play nothing at all above a G or just when practicing?
    JR

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    During the melody month, I recommend playing the hymnbook (or similar) from front to back - NOTHING up high. Critical is the focus on a beautiful, pure, dense(resonant) tone and precise attack. Get your pianissimo playing together!
    Sometimes our body gives us hints that something is not right. We often do not hear that voice.
    A month of solid playing in the mid and low register at moderate dynamics will not set ANYBODY back, but give us an opportunity to get back to the basics and become more intimate with the face that we regularly beat up when practicing the high range! I think your problem is probably mechanical and easily curable if you back off for a little while!
    Work on your musicianship, articulation, dynamics and breathing during the melody month! Just leave the loud and high alone.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'll jump on here to add that pianissimo playing is one of the healthiest things we can do for our chops--if it works whisper quiet, it will generally work at all dynamic levels (although loud playing requires its own practice, but for that we usually don't need encouraging)!

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Great advice.

I tore my left bicep about 2 weeks ago. Can't hold the horn with the left hand.

My body is telling me DON'T!

All the Best,

Righty Rich

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I had the problem playing around middle C with a shallow cup mouth piece and only in performance situations. It was a night mare. I gave up on shallow cups and went to a 5C. I now play a 3D.
    I have no idea what will happen if I have to play Silent Night at the bottom of the staff. I think some of it was lower jaw position on low notes.
    The Bach mouth piece manual says the lips are bottoming out in the cup. I'll leave it to others to comment.