Double Buzz problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fusion2002, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004
    Manny,

I remember reading a post of yours on double buzz, but I can't seem to get it using the search function.... Anways, I was playing through the Arutunian today, and I started to get a slight double buzz in the mute section. I remembered your post (while I was playing on stage) and how you said double buzz usually occurs due to breathing ineffiency. I couldnt for the life of me get the buzz to go away. Once I got the chance to rest after the mute section, it was gone, then it reappeared a little ways into the Allegro right before the cadenza.

Can you help me visualize the problem? I was trying to breath deep from the diaphram and not move my chest, and keep my stomach muscles relaxed, but somthing was wrong. Ir seemed like it was caused by my lips... but I'm not really sure whats going on. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ... and that would be a problem. No one advocates not allowing the chest to expand. Is that what you think?

To be clear, the chest expands naturally when you take a breath and it descends when you exhale. If you maintain a good posture as you exhale the abdomen is, once again, allowed to do its work. Support is movement not stiffness. If everything goes away when you're fresh then there's still something else at work and that is likely the embouchure becoming fatigued and not having the strength to be stable and lacking the flexibility to do what it needs. It's frozen in a position that is only good for one register and when you go to another register... boom, it produces a double buzz.

You are likely using a lot of pressure when you get tired and trying to stabilize the embouchure that way. Not good. Supply much more wind through fuller inhalations and let the breath "push away" the mouthpiece with an energized airstream. Play softer and lighter when you're tired. Replace the lips with bouyant, energized air like you're whistling a happy tune.

ML

3. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004
    Ahh... I have a feeling your right about the preasure thing.... Its somthing I've always had a problem with. When I'm fresh I dont use much preasure, but once I get tired, I start to use more. Its been somthing I've been battling with for awhile. I think that probibly explains the double buzzing.

How do you recomend I start playing with less preasure?
    I feel like when I use less preasure my pitch drops, and I have to work very hard to blow the pitch back up. Any other suggestions? Also, are there any books or other good information about proper breathing technique? Its been somthing that I've really been intersted in studying.

Thanks for your time!

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I suggest you work very hard (mentally) to blow the pitch back up.

Calvin Price has written a book I've endorsed because of its no-nonsense approach to understanding breathing.

ML

5. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
  6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Last week I developed a little sore on my upper lip. I had a lot of jobs so I played anyway.

The original sore went away fairly quickly but I had trouble because I played and the skin opened up.

I was playing a concert and started getting the double buzz and as I played I was thinking about this thread and what Manny says causes it.

I think the reason it happened is that I wasn't practicing enough because of the sore and I couldn't use hardly any pressure or the mouthpiece would hurt the sore spot.
    The top lip felt like it was out of control as if the mouthpiece were too big.

So for me I think the buzz was caused by a lack of practice. I bet if I had a smaller mouthpiece with me that would have stopped the buzz.