Double Buzz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hello,

I tried to increase my practice from 30min to an hour (split it into 20 min sessions x3 each through the day). No problem. Did that yesterday.

Today I have tried to do 1 and half hour practice. I played 30min this morning. 30min from 6-6:30pm and then i picked it up at 10pm (almost 10:30 now). After the 2nd line G I am getting all this double buzzing stuff happening. I just cant play the notes clear. Have I practiced 'too' much for where I am up to?

Should I push it and keep going or when that starts to happen, leave it alone?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What does your practice routine consist of?
    Do you play a short warm down at the end of each session?

3. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Don't know.

I do long tones as suggested for first 15min. I hold each note as long as I can (c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c). Then I go c,b,a,g,f,e,d,c as long as I can each note back down. I do that twice. Then I do the same thing again but this time I play very quiet and make it go louder/louder gradually and then gradually back off back to quiet on each note c-d-e-f-g-a-b-c-c-b-a-g-f-e-d-c. After that I do some scales, very quietly C-C and back down tonguing. Then I do that lip slur, as quiet as possible. Then I do it louder, tongue and then slur. Then I do the D scale D-D and back down as quiet as possible tongue and then slur. Then I do that scale louder tongue and then slur. Then I do another long tone c-c and just a bit of what I already did here and there to do 30min. For the last bit I play C then down to B A and low G back to C, quietly then I put it away.

Next 30min, I do the long tones again for 10 min then focus on scale tonguing and slurring. Slur the whole scale then just intervals, quiet/loud, quiet-loud etc.

Last 30min (3rd session 3 hours later) I kinda did a mix of the 2 but found I was double buzzing because mouth felt like it had enough from before. I wanted to use this last 30min session for playing music even if i played the 'alto' part out of a book. But with the way my mouth felt I knew there was no way to do it.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Are you resting in between the notes or playing for a solid 30 minutes straight? If you aren't you are probably giving yourself quite a workout. The rule of thumb is you should rest as much as you play, and that is during you practice time. One of the things to watch out for when playing soft is not pinching or using too much pressure.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    An hour and a half of practice in a relatively short time span after a long time at a half hour is a big leap. I would suggest that while still fresh, figure out how how to produce the double buzz at will. Once you can do that you can figure out what you are doing wrong.