Double C and trumpet note naming conventions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rich Wetzel, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Thanks for that. Finally!! A way for me to have a Hi-C!ROFL

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I think that this topic is "discussed to death" and that is why there is a Sticky for the forum.

Accept that there is more to the world than your part of it, and get over it. Use the rules in the Sticky to discuss the notes, and avoid the issues.

This has really been done over and over again.... GET OVER IT!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have NEVER heard a real pro on stage say double G, A or double Bb. In the context of Trumpetmaster we only have discussions about this with the high school kids. I am surprised that Rich brought it up - it can't really be an issue when reading a CV before auditioning for his band................ Either you play the book or bye bye.

To me it is just further proof that there is a big difference between the street and the classroom.

4. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Seriously some folks insisting that it is the other way should get over it.

I am a professional trumpet player too, been around a lot, and play with and know a lot of other top guys here on the west coast, US , and neither I or any of them refer to it as posted in the sticky, simply not true, not accurate and not real world, at least out here.

The reason for my post is to share what I and every pro I have ever worked with calls it, in our circles anyway.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    How would you guys interpret a double high B-sharp? Equal to double C or equal to a double B, with a sharp added (hence a triple high C?) :-P

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would interpret as in tune?, in time? and in context?.

Rich, there is nothing to get over. The note names are adequately taught in school and college. Only some trumpet players insist on ignoring that. When you say double B I know what you mean. That is the basis for communication and the basis for how I answer. When those that struggle with an octave lower make noise, I also know what they mean - and what is required to join the "club". It starts with them earning the real thing, whatever it is called.