Double C? Regular C? What does it all mean?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Musician4077, May 30, 2005.

1. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    Hey, this may sound like a stupid question, but I've noticed a lot of talk about double C. I'm a little confused at what C this is describing. All the musicians around here describe the C above the staff as "double high C", with "high C" being the in-actuality-not-that-high-C in the staff. Do you all consider my "double high C" merely a "high C", and are all of you popping the title of "double" up yet another octave :shock: ?

Jeff

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Really simple

"C" is in the middle of the staff, third space.

"High C" is one octave above, or 2 ledger lines above the staff.
    "Double high C or Double C" is one octave above that.
    Notes above that are "Double".

A "double "F" is ABOVE Double C.

A double G is not above "High C", it is above "Double C".

Hope this is helpful.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    yeah, the terminology gets really confusing. Some people call the g sittin on the staff the high g. Others call the g above high c the high g... People ought to stick to one system, lol.

But shilke b6 uses the same terms I do.

Low c a line below the staff
    c in the staff
    high c two ledgers lines above staff
    dubba c an octave above that or sittin' on top of 5th ledger line

As far as other notes, eh, to each their own. lol.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Since I was in high school, high C was always two ledgers above the staff, although there was a short period of time when I thought that tuning C was High C, but that was in 5th grade.

But, also since high school, ANYTHING that fell between high C (two ledgers above the staff) and Double C (one octave above that) was regarded as "double" register. While this terminology may not be "correct", it was the terminology generally accepted by all of the trumpet players I worked with in my Army band days. For me, double G is the G above High C. (which coincidentally is the top of my practice room range.)

It's interesting how this discussion pops up time and again.

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    yeah, this does keep poppin up huh? Maybe we all need an internet class on using the search feature.. Save a lot of time and bandwidth... lol.

Tim

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Are you serious? So a third leger line E is a "Double E", not a "high E"? And a fourth space E is a "High E"? I always thought that the "singas", "doubas" and "tripas" changed at the C of the octave in which the designation holds. Thus, "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "A", "B", "high C", "High D", "High E" & etc. and you would have to play a 6th leger SPACE "C" before you even USED the word "double".

Manny? Wilmer? What sayest thee?

I agree, this one keeps coming up time and time again. Maybe it should be part of the FAQ's for membership in the website! LOL

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Low C,
    middle G,
    middle C,
    G,
    high C,
    high G,
    double high C,
    double high G,
    Triple C.

I call 'em the way I see 'em!

ML

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No, fourth space E was just E. Sometimes the E above high C was refered to as just that; "E above high C" and the "doubles" started at F. Then again, we never really had any "rules" regarding that register, but anything above Double High C was "triple" whatever. Like I said, we all knew what each other was talking about in any case.

9. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    A closed book exam will be held at 8:00 am Saturday morning in the Concert Hall. If you wish credit for this course - be there.

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    CLOSED BOOK? No thanks, I'll just audit.

Harrumph,

ML