Double C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhatmonB6, Jul 24, 2005.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I'm not sure when you saw Maynard, but I really don't think it was hard for him from the 1950's through the 70's. He would do some weird gyrations while he was doing it, but it was more about putting on a show for the audience.

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    At the National Trumpet Symposium in Denver in 1973 Maynard played Double C's throughout the 2-hour concert, then at the end of the concert he slurred High C to Double C to Triple C.

A couple of years later my friend saw him in concert in the Boston area and Maynard played Triple C's.

There is a You-Tube video of Maynard playing Triple C's in Pagliacci.

Besides range, Maynard had lightning-fast technique that enabled him to play Be-Bop with the best of them.

Ever see the video of Maynard playing "Give It One" at twice the speed he did on the album?

Ever hear the recording from the late 1990's of Maynard playing a soft, poignant "Caruso"?

Maynard could play piano, violin, tumpet, trombone, French horn, and saxophone.
    He was accepted in the French Conservatory of Music at the age of 9.

The kid here who said that Maynard was over-rated was obviously trying to make Maynard look small so that he could make himself look big.
    So I say to that poster:
    You say that Maynard was over-rated, but Bud herseth said that Maynard was one of the best, and I'll trust Bud Herseth's opinion over yours anytime.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  3. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA

All that. On another note, I certainly miss having Mayn' around. Just having the option of seeing his band was an amazing thing. I wonder if there's going to be any kind of tribute band touring...probably someday.

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Maynard was one of the nicest guys in the world.
    I remember his sense of humor in his concerts as well as I remember his trumpet playing, the times he made the other members of the band laugh out loud.
    Maynard never went around bad-mouthing anyone.
    Maynard always encouraged people rather than put them down.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

Oops, I guess so! :dontknow:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maynard Ferguson died in August of 2006 at 78 years old. You are right about being crucified for your unqualified remark. If you want to compare Ferguson and Faddis make sure that you compare recordings where they are of similar age. Then consider how many fine trumpet players got their start working for the "Boss". Remember that MF kept a performing jazz band alive during most of his life. He was not just the soloist up front. he played right up until the very end.

No bad words about Jon Faddis, he is a fine trumpet player and great guy, but Maynard was in a league of his own. Much of Maynards body use was show.

No, there is no way that any reasonably informed musician could call Maynard over rated. His style of playing may have been too commercial for some, but he inspired more trumpet players than anyone else with the possible exception of Maurice André.

Sorry about the flame. I just consider that remark an insult to the trumpet world.

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I hope I didn't start anything. *blush* I never thought Maynard Ferguson wasn't a great player.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Misty,
    you didn't start anything. Rating players is a tough business. Calling Maynard "overrated" shows that this person has no idea about Maynards impression on the trumpet world.
    Ask Wayne Bergeron what he thinks about Maynard, or Pat Hession, Nick Drozdoff...... or the hundred of other monsters who were touched by this magnificent person.

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Way over the top.

10. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    We all know that Maynard's years with Stan Kenton were ground breaking musical experiences in jazz history. Well, maybe some don't know. Maynard declined in his last 10 years but who wouldn't?

I have some Kenton CD's from the 1950's that I bought from Amazon. It is unbelievable what he could do.

I think Maynard could have stolen Bebop from Dizz but showed respect and stayed away from Dizz' invention.
    I'll try to unload my car CD player and post the name of some incredible CD's released where Maynard played in Bebop style. Unbelievable.

The CD is titled "Maynard Ferguson, WOW!"

It has 24 tracks, all recorded between 1949 and 1956. This is the CD where I thought Maynard could out bebob Dizzy.

I bought mine off of Amazon.com

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008