Double C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhatmonB6, Jul 24, 2005.

1. lipsbuzin

lipsbuzin New Friend

Feb 9, 2008
    I've heard a lot of players squeek out a double c and I can appreciate all of their efforts. I think it's a shame how much the trumpet players pick on all the other playerss instead of appreciating all of them for their individual contributions. But I don't hear the complainers posting their own performances.

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    If a person says, "Bill Clinton was faithful to his wife",
    is that person entitled to his opinion?

If a person says, "Ronald Reagan was one of the most liberal Presidents in the history of the United States",

If a person says, "Buddy Rich could barely play drums",

If a person says, "Charles Manson is a nice guy",

No, the person is not entitled to an "opinion" which contradicts provable fact.

If the poster had said that he doesn't like the type of music played by Maynard Ferguson,
    or doesn't like the style of Maynard Ferguson,
    or doesn't like the tone of Maynard Ferguson,
    those would be legitimate opinions because different people have different tastes.
    Just as I don't care for Be-Bop or Hip-Hop or Heavy Metal.

But the poster said that Maynard Ferguson was "over-rated".
    That claims that *nobody* should think highly of Maynard Ferguson because Maynard Ferguson allegedly was a mediocre player in an absolute sense.
    Baloney.
    Within the genre of music he chose, Maynard Ferguson was a top professional who could do things few other people on Earth could do in terms of style and power and lightning-fast technique and flexibility and range and showmanship.

"I don't like him" is far different from "He is over-rated".
    The poster should have said the former rather than the latter.

3. tripletongue

tripletongue New Friend

Feb 9, 2008
    amen brotha! I play the trumpet and I dig hearing everyone else do what they do. I remember the kids I grew up with always picked on Herb Alpert cuz he wasn't Maynard or Al Hirt or Dizzy. I saw Herb play last year and he was great at being Herb. We should all learn from that. If we only hold the top 2 or 3 guys up as great, what does that make each of US as players?

4. Kevykev

Kevykev Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2006
    St. Louis.
    Sounds to me more like a "B" but who's counting?

5. Thomas O

Thomas O New Friend

Jul 17, 2007
    Yes, you're right. I wonder why years of pressure leaves Faddis with a white ring on his otherwise dark skin. A build up of scar tissue?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You could, with a decent lesson probably play a double C today. To turn that into something useful would probably take a year or two.
    High notes are not hard, they just involve replacing muscle with intelligent playing - a hard concept for the juvenile at heart. :noway:

7. Thomas O

Thomas O New Friend

Jul 17, 2007
    Oh great, I opened up this thread and wrote a reply to the first page without realizing there was a further three page onslaught to read. I'm obviously a newbie to this forum and didn't realize this thread would gain so much attention and momentum all of a sudden - I thought it would be kept to an intimate few.

I'm not going to argue this point because all of you collectively will drive me into the ground..further. Yes, it was a controversial and unjustified remark (and I'm sorry if it was an insult to the trumpeting world), but after reading all your replies about why you all think Maynard is so fantastic, I've relized more about him and will try to reconsider my view. I did desperately want someone to tell me why he was so great - strange way to go about it, I suppose. I guess I have a problem with the whole 'higher, faster, louder' maxim.

'Screamingmorris' there was no need to get so touchy, fiery and condescending about it. I did appreciate some of the things you said and several points were taken. However..

The person is entitled to their opinion in every case because [SIZE=-1]an opinion is a personal belief or judgment that is not necessarily founded on proof or certainty. Just because an opinion is controversial, doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to exist - it obviously helps if it's justified, which mine hasn't been (in fact in a strange way, the more controversial and difficult to prove the opinion is, the more it seems to qualify as an opinion - anybody find that?) Besides, it is plausible that Charles Manson was a nice guy, because the idea of 'nice' is so subjective - it sounds crazy, I know. This topic has a lot of potential to spill over into a theological debate - argument for/against the proof of the existence of God anyone? Haha no.

Anyway, I'm sorry for making an unqualified statement (perhaps it was born out of ignorance) like that and won't make the same mistake again.

I don't like Maynard Ferguson.

=)
    [/SIZE]

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not sure that one can assume that excessive "pressure" made Jons white ring. Regardless of skin color, tissue under tension turns lighter in color because of the blood being pressed out. I guess we would have to look at Jons face when he hasn't played for a weel or two to see if the lighter color is caused by playing. Pigmentation is also something that is not necessarily uniform at birth.

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Actually, yes, all of those people are still entitled to their opinion. There is no qualifier in the definition of opinion that says it has to be truthful... part of what makes america great is people being able to think for themselves, without reprieve...

10. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    So Thomas says that it is "plausible" that evil mass murder Charles Manson was a "nice guy",
    but Maynard Ferguson makes him "cringe".
    Oy.

Everybody is "entitled to his opinion"?
    No.
    "Opinions" which are hateful and which contradict known fact are not worthy of respect and do not deserve the "right" to exist.