Double 'C'

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Benji, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When it comes to high range, I like to paraphrase Gerald Webster, who said something like: "It ain't about how high you can get up, but what you can do with it once you've got there." The Altenburg goes up to what we called a double f# back in the day, but if played correctly (like with taste, style and good intonation) nobody notices.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Scream machine told me he was 13. I sure wish teenagers could make up their minds!

3. scream machine

scream machine Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    I did? I mean't 14. IM 14 not 15 or 13.

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    My range is A, a couple of times I've hit a Bb. But you have to use it correctly. Trumpet in the upper register without support below is usually just shrill. In soloing I generally don't go much above D, except for a Dizzy lick I use sometimes that goes to G and a Clark Terry thing that goes to E. But that's usually just toscare the youngsters.

Michael McLaughlin.

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. So is monogamy."" Oscar Wilde

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

Heh, heh!

Yeah, Mike! :-)

When I studied with Joe Daley, he wouldn't let me practice HIS stuff above high C. He was pretty adamant about it. He wanted me to think like a musician, not an athlete. I'm strill working on that!

(Joe Daley was a tenor player who taught musicians how to play jazz around Chicago - quite an amazing person).

Nick

6. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Is Jon Faddis like the god of the upper register? Are there others who play higher than he does? I'm not really up on the screamers.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Jon Faddis has nothing on Cat Anderson.

To me, Cat is the ultimate. He can play super high and loud, over Ellington's entire band, but he can also solo really well. Jon Faddis plays lots of high notes and Dizzy licks, and that is about it. Not very stimulating if you ask me.

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Please hear Jon live. I have played next to both, Jon has to be experienced live........and by the way, Jon can play quietly in the middle and low register :cool:
    Wilmer

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Jon Faddis is a monster and also a really good guy, he has been to the school and lent his name to our endeavors. He has spent time with some of my kids and been very helpful. And he plays real melodies in the stratosphere, he doesn't just screech. About ten years ago he came to town with a big band to do Dizzy Gillespie big band stuff, just out of sight. The trumpet section included David Spencer and Orbert Davis from around here, and Faddis truly tore up. He is now a regular with the Chicago Jazz Ensemble out of Columbia College, Bill Russo's band, so he's around a lot here in Chicago. I think to denigrate him somehow or belittle his abilities is really out of line. If you want a lead player, if you can afford him, that's where you'd go.

Michael McLaughlin

"Fate chooses our relatives, we choose our friends." Jacques DeLille

10. NickD

NickD Forte User

uhh..

First I would agree with the notion that Jon Faddis is a remarkable musician. Live or on record, the guy can play.

What makes me uncomfortable is the notion that "this guy is better than that guy." I have no problem with comparing styles, sounds, whatever, but to say Cat is better than Jon is, in my humble opinion, like saying apples are better than oranges. Sure they have similarities - they can both play high notes - but their differences, which amount to their musical personalities, make each of them utterly unique. It seems to me the idea that the idea of one being better than another is a matter of taste - not absolute.

Peace.

Nick