Double High C in 37 Weeks by Roger Spaulding

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ThreeValves, Feb 11, 2010.

1. BruceGrain

BruceGrain New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    My wife hita note like that when my son was born. But she added a whole bunch of other words to it.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Spalding's book has some good exercises, as does Total Range by Charles S. Peters, System for Brass by Louis Maggio, Systematic Approach To Daily Practice For Trumpet by Claude Gordon and ASA-Technik by Rolf Quinque.

The danger comes in using these methods exclusively (as Spalding urges) and blindly following their version of what the embouchure should be--strictly the opinion of the author (although Quinque has perhaps the best generic description).

To improve, we need to tire ourselves without exhausting ourselves, so at the end or our routine we should feel like we've done something. Richard Shuebruck's Trumpeter's Daily Stunt (and his lip and tongue trainers) is an excellent way to start. Add to that Walter M. Smith's Top Tones for the Trumpeter and you'll add some excellent range studies. Max Schlossberg's Daily Drills and Technical Studies for Trumpet is another must have for development.

The Harold Mitchell Trumpet Method, starting with book three, is like a big 'ol multi-vitamin, presenting new challenges each lesson, and can be frustrating and gratifying at the same time.

Point is, high notes are fun, and range can be developed, but we're supposed to be musicians. We need an extremely large skill set in order to do that, one that includes, but is not limited to range.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know, I thought that was what happened to me, but when I looked again, it was only a hemorroid.

Oh by the way, there is NO MEDICAL CURE for a double high C hemorroid. Only surgery. Preparation H FOGET IT. You know how to judge when the Preparation H is working? Just keep observing the finger used to apply the medication. When the finger starts shrinking, you know it's working.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Aha! higher notes by shrinking the lips. In these Botox days, a quite novel approach from a doctor (although aborigine medicine men would shrink the whole head)! I think Preparation H tastes pretty bad though.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Knew a very good tubist who advocated Preparation H for bruised and/or swollen lips. He said to use a dedicated tube, otherwise one might start sounding like....