Double High C in 37 Weeks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I bought the book back in the mid to late 60's, since then I have bought many different methods on range development and realized its not what order you play such and such scale or arpeggio, its what you do with your embouchure, tongue and air , that gives you range and endurance. Once your physical playing mechanics are correct ,only then will you be able to maximize the benefits of any method ,including old fashioned long-tones, lip-slurs and scales. I was lucky and discovered what I was doing wrong and was able to correct it, so if you can find someone who truly understands how an embouchure works, take lessons from them, ask your section mates questions on how they do certain things , I know of at least two people who have books published on range development who picked my brain while we were on gigs together, observe other players and make mental notes.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    How does this method differ from say, the cat anderson method, where you have to learn how to do exercises with your teeth closed??

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I dug this book up a couple of months ago and have finally decided it's a good time to begin. I'll let you all know how it was when i'm done!

4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    the book only addresses physical development and it works. The embouchure that is described ( lower lip pout, anchor tongue ) is a workable high range embouchure but, doing the book alone can give you the range you need but a sound no one wants to hear. I recommend going to a teacher who can help you with range and, in addition, work on your tone, articulation and taste.