Double high C on trumpet for 12-13 seconds

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MJ, Sep 6, 2008.

1. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    Morris,
    All of the kidding aside. Yes, I do know a guy that plays a very FAT Double C!
    I am sure that he can play higher than that but no one that's not within ear shot of his practice room will hear that. This guy has a real lead player sound and a DHC range that sounds good, no GREAT. I went to see him 5 wks ago for a lesson, (first time I had seen him in 38 years). He was a little unhappy with my M/P, but was very professional about it, and said, "whatever works for you". He then proceeded to demonstrate the fat tone he has in the extreme high register. The first time I heard his DHC I thought it was only a High C. IT IS THAT FAT. His Name is Ron Turner. He and I went to High School together. He has been a full time pro trumpet player since then. I have not although I do play regularly.

2. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I witnessed a friend of mine holding a double C for just over 35 seconds with no apparent strain or redness of the face. Sound wasn't bad either.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Wonder what mouthpiece Ron is using?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    From the Monette website:

After a year of players asking, we now finally have a "SLAP" B6! Thanks to Ron Turner, lead player on the traveling show "Spamalot," who inspired Dave Monette to come up with the design. After many, many prototypes and hundreds if not thousands of hours of on the job play-testing, we are finally ready to let everyone in on the improvement - the B6 S1 is ready for sale!

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Next step: One Note Samba on DHC!

6. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    THEN I'd be impressed! :shock:

7. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    faddis did that once...they called it the Big Bang...

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If this Ron Turner is lead trumpet in the Eric Idle - Spamalot - then I have had an inspiring evening some months ago sitting in the most advantageous spot peering up the bell and listening to him in the main Concert Hall of the Sydney Opera House. If he is not from that show - I still had great time being inspired by some other great trumpeter - name unknown - but you don't wish to know that do you? :dontknow:

9. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
  10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc

Ron is no longer on tour with this show. He's been on many over the years (Fosse, 42nd Street, Spamalot, Producers, etc)...but has settled in the Atlanta area. Glad you got to hear another great trumpet player in Syndey.

A long time friend...Ron is truly a special player.