Double or nothing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 79connvictor, Aug 21, 2008.

1. 79connvictor

79connvictor New Friend

Mar 8, 2008
    Illinois
    There has been a lot of talk on the forum lately about range and now I'm a bit confused about what notes are being referred to when talk about double C or double G. I thought double C was what we used to call "high C" when we were all still learning, or the C above the staff, and double G was 3 1/2 steps above that. Is this right? or are you all talking about yet the next octave above that? Seems like a basic question maybe, but I just want clarification. Thanks

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In 'trumpeter talk' high C is the second line above the staff. Double C is an octave higher. Most think that the G above the staff is high G. In actuality, double G is still ANOTHER octave up from there.

OLDLOU>>

3. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Oops! I think you meant to say... In actuality, "high" G is still ANOTHER octave up from there.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    all octaves start with C, ergo a double G is HIGHER than double C.

There is a lot of talk about something that is musically so WORTHLESS for the majority of players. Even when you get there, you have to have something reasonable to say with it, and most of the players that I know that TALK about a double C don't really have much to say an octave lower.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    double G is one octave above the staff, a double C is a fourth higher . Everyone I have ever worked with called them this. When asked to play a double G thats the note they meant. when asked to play a double C they want the C two octaves above the staff, most people who get confused with this dont play in this range

6. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    And to think, you call yourself a member of the club!

(http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/group.php?groupid=1)
    :dontknow: