Double tongue and other capabilities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 11thchair, Feb 7, 2012.

1. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    I never was able to double tongue in high school. I put the horn away for over 3 decades after that. Picked it almost a decade ago. Did the private instructor thing a couple of times as an adult (or senior now). About 5 years ago I was asked to do one of the solo parts in Bugler's Holiday. I picked 3rd - quickly. Struggled especially where the 3rd is the entry solo (should have thought that part through - 2nd has no entry parts - does it?). Luckily we put it away for a few years. Till last week.

To my surprise I was able to keep up. Took it out to practice this week and I can apparently double tongue now.

So is that how it happens? You can suddenly double tongue? Practice over the years showed no improvement - then it ... happens?

I decided to jump to "up streaming" - I don't really know what it is but read it in a post last month. Sounded interesting - but I could not make anything work last month. Tried this week and appears I can get another 2 or 3 notes higher and lot more comfortably and a lot less work.

Hmmmm

Maybe 2012 is going to be the end of time.

codyb226 likes this.
  2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I got nothing other than to say the brain's a wonderous and mysterious thing. I've had similar experiences with things other than playing. Like way back in college struggling with some math or physics concept to the point were I just stopped trying. Then years later, trying again and it makes perfect sense. Go figure.

3. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I think for a majority of players, no, double tonguing will not "just happen." I spent a LOT of time working on it, and am now fairly proficient at it. That being said, it's probably like most anything else, sometimes it DOES just happen, our bodies and brains change as we age.
    I can tell you though, for the private students I teach, it will take some concerted effort and practice.

Brad361

4. 11thchair

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    To clarify - I have been practicing for the last few years - just never happened. Tongue always felt thick.. Get one or 2 off and then the poor thing did not know if it going forwards or backwards. A pitiful thing to listen to.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We all talk about when things "click in". I believe in it.

What I don't believe in is a self induced switch from up to downstream. I think that the additional notes are not due to that. If you think it works, keep going. In 6-8 weeks you will have an idea if you made a good or catastrophic mistake.

6. 11thchair

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    I'll go for the good mistake!! Does that mean there is less damage than a catastrophic mistake? ;-)

I'll have to work with this for a while. I don't know if I understand what upstreaming is. I just tried what I visualized to be after the discussion last month. It will take practice to make it repeatable - and usable.

Anyway it is just plain fun when a change does something - good or bad.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    my guess is your tongue is not getting stuck now and you are tonguing lighter which helps in the double tonguing thing.
    The only catastrophic mistake is not trying .... then there is blowing out your lips with undue pressure trying to play screeching notes you have no business trying.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    peanut butter + chocolate....

sometimes accidents happen and great things occur!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My point is that the human body does not function this way. A "superior" embouchure after changing jaw position means a period of time to retrain the geometry of the face, new fine motor habits. Immediate improvements are usually due to simply practicing more. What appears to give instant improvement on the other hand can devastate us after a short while when the "normal" process of development changes the way that things work together.

The elation is due after a couple of months when we have the real proof. Please post again. Success is made with months and years not days.

10. 11thchair

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    Will repost in a few months. Just have to remember to do that. Luckily my new phone has an app for that.