Double Tongue Trouble

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GSTaylor, Aug 24, 2008.

1. GSTaylor

GSTaylor New Friend

Aug 24, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am having a lot of trouble getting my double tongue speed up. I am wondering if it has anything to do with my open bite. I have been playing for several years, but I still have trouble.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Double tongue speed most often has to do with a very percussive Tu and Ku. Try practicing at pianissimo for a couple of weeks with a very legato du gu. It can work WONDERS!

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    along with what Robin said would add to work on speeding it up slowly with a metronome, and even go simple, when I am having problems I pull out the Salvo book (another book that isn't talked about much here and I think underrated) for double and triple tonguing and couple weeks doing that, soft and with the dugu articulation will fix things up. another thing i find is the tendency to try to play the double tongue too short will slow you down, don't worry about short it will take care of itself.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I advocate not working up your speed. Practice slowly getting perfect evenness. After a couple of weeks, you will be able to "jump" up to much faster. Stay there too for a couple of weeks.
    The advantage that I have discovered is that you secure the perfect evenness when resisting the urge to go faster each day. Once the proper habit is built, a big step is possible which should also be perfected.

5. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I'll echo what's said above. I've had a bad double tongue for years, and finally realized that I've just been working too hard. My reaction to not being able to do it well, was to tongue harder, which ended up being slower (think I woulda figured that out sooner...duh!). do a bunch of slow soft multiple tonguing, and you'll find it comes along much better.