Double tonguing above the staff

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skuni, Jan 19, 2010.

1. skuni

skuni Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Anyone have tips on double tonguing in the upper register? I am playing a piece that requires double tonguing high C's and also flutter tonguing above the staff. I am looking for any advice.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    practice playing the high notes without any tonguing first. Inhale, then exhale the note as relaxed as possible. When you can cleanly exhale the high notes, add a TINY amount of tongue to separate the notes and work your speed up slowly. The key to articulation in the upper register is to be able to play the notes above the staff as if they were an octave lower.

Many players tongue the heck out of high notes to get an additional boost of air. That jackhammer articulation really stops progress in the upper register.

Take a glass of tap water into tonguing practice sessions. At the first sign of stress, take a sip. It is amazing how quickly neck tension releases.

3. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    unless you're from new jersey, unless you're good with mutations farther down the line :dontknow:

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    When tonguing up high I keep the tip down behind my bottom teeth and articulate with the middle of the tongue against the roof of my mouth, I find if you try to tongue with the tip of your tongue in the upper register it disrupts the embouchure ,especially above high C, actually Clarke recommended this method in all registers.