double tonguing legato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Dec 29, 2004.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Hi Manny,

I am having trouble playing 16th notes legato.
    For some reason when I have a group they come out short.

The place I'm having this trouble is in the Arutunian.
    The first fast section. Bar 35 and 39. I have been playing it around 155 tempo.

I can play other fast double tonguing things ok. The rest of the concerto is fine.

I have tried slowing it down. It sounds ok at about 140.

Do you have any ideas?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear B,

The idea of the legato is to smooth out the things we articulate "normally". The pocess you want to undergo has to do with making the legato double-tongue an extension of what you already do well when you articulate. So, let's not think of it as a seperate technique, rather assume it's somthing you can already do well, you are merely refining it.

Let's start with a slurred scale rather than a tongued one. Low C to middle C will do. In fact, let's make it chromatic.

Slur up and down at a slow tempo, slow enough so you can really taste each note as you slur. Notice how nice and open you are and that the back teeth are so relaxed that they almost feel parallel to each other

=

rather than at a pronounced angle

<

Using a nice OH vowel throughout, gradually add the tongue which should be relaxed until it's really buttery and smooth. Set the oven to 350 degrees and add a cup of sug... oh, sorry. Started thinking about something else.

The point here is to retain an open feel throughout the compass of the range as you double-tongue. The speed should come with practice. Do this away from the Arutunian. Use Arban's or some such book. Be creative and do arpeggios, as well.

If you back off of the air you're going to peck away rather than sound fluid, the way you want. Lots of fast yet warm air will do the trick.

ML

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Thanks Manny,

I already started doing this before I read your answer. It is nice to have you reinforce the idea though. I still don't have the results that I'm after yet.

I didn't know that I had a problem until I recorded myself.

Thanks again and have a happy new year,

Joe

P.S.
    I make my living selling doors, windows, lumber and trim.
    Maybe some day you will need advise and I can help you.