Double tonguing problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jfishfinder, Aug 31, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A trumpet player is not forced to double tongue, but rather given the opportunity to double tongue. It's a mind set I am saying, son... Ya hear me... a mind set son. Be dee... be dee... be dee... be dee... that's all folks!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Scientific American will say: "The tongue is an essential, often playful part of human anatomy. Many of us grew up believing the assertion that the tongue is the strongest muscle in the body. But is it really? The short answer is no. But the explanation is not as straightforward as you’d think. We asked a few tongue experts (yes they do exist) why the myth has been so easy to swallow.

The strongest muscle in my body... Well Mae West said it best: "A hard man is good to find".

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well Ah say son... Ah say... Ah say... Ah say... That's because the tongue is heavily coordinated by many twigs of a major MOTOR cranial nerve don't cha say. The glossopharyngeal nerve (CN IX) don't cha know. Now Ah say son... say glossopharyngeal-glossopharyngeal-glossopharyngeal many many times over, and you will be double tonguing in no time. the motor innervation to the 1/3 posterior part of the tongue. It takes practice, Ah say. Practice, practice, practice don't cha know!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's also such a fundamental part of playing technique that to fail to learn to double-tongue is to severely limit the repertoire one is able to play.

To the OP I submit this - if you want to be a solid player, then you need to learn to do this, and the sooner you get it down, the better off you will be. It's not really much of a choice.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How do we learn anything? Start slowly, develop accurate patterns, then speed up. I start my students - even as beginners on the second or third lesson on double tonguing. That early in the process they have less trouble because the expectations on sound quality are less. As they develop, everything gets good at the same time. If a player starts multiple tonguing late, they have built patterns of articulation and playing high that are very difficult to modify. There is simply more struggle.

Bottom line: you don't have to learn how to multiple tongue. You just run into a brick wall if you don't. You are a sophomore, you have a good year to learn - and will probably need it. Start slowly, perfect the pattern of motion and then speed up slowly - never going so fast that it gets sloppy. Practice scales, intervals, longtones with multiple articulation, softly and invarious registers. Plan taking a whole year, use the whole year!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    This is why I was hoping one of our tame Doctors would chime in..... ;-)

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Show off

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Whose point did you mean? Did I actually make one?
    My father was able to whistle through his tongue while making it into a tube shape, some people can't curl their tongue in such a fashion at all (heredity thing) . I can double tongue while whistling, FWIW. just tried it, VB...that should earn me something.
    But seriously, different people have different tongue mannerisms, or even physically different from one person to another. Seems to me there are people who can't seem to get their tongue out of it's own way, so to speak, others have shorter tongues, which may or may not be more conducive to double tonguing. There are the gifted, and the not so gifted.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, that's what keeps the funds flowing so I can invest in quality art work!

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    And until you can afford the quality stuff, I'll try to keep up my productivity, or until someone tells you you've been hoodwinked! Shhhhhhhhhh!