Double tonguing problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jfishfinder, Aug 31, 2015.

1. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    When are you going to do a painting of your horn? I think that might inspire some to practice more.

In college I did a pencil drawing of a glass Coke bottle, the idea was to show both the front, but also the back showing through the glass. I think mine turned out pretty good, but I don't have it anymore.

2. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    When I was learning to play the cornet the teacher explained tonguing to us and we were told to practice. I discovered that I could get the same results by constricting and releasing my throat with the back of my tongue rather than using the tip of my tongue. Now I'm faced with the prospect of learning to do it correctly or just keeping up a bad habit.

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, I guess when I'm through practicing my double tonguing, (staying on topic) and besides, I have the image of my trumpet burned into my brain....don't really need to paint it. I think if I did, I would paint it Plaid.........or maybe red, white and blue....that would be nice......

4. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    I would recommend a nice Tartan. And then post a photo of it.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Allow me to add that improvements in playing happen overnight. By this, I mean that I have found that with focused effort on technique, I'll get to the point that I can't make whatever I'm doing improve. The next day I'll start in on the same technique, and it'll be easier and sound better. I think that the mind/brain needs time, probably during sleep, to work out the details of how to progress with learning, necessarily an unconscious procedure.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If you put all of these suggestions together I believe you are well on the way. You can reconcile the not reading music and pg 175 of the Arbans by memorizing it.
    I think a lot of beginning players have a tendancy to choke off the air on the "ku" syllable. So perhaps a legatto tongue will help keep you relaxed.
    SO
    1) Air.. keep it going
    2) use a metronome, start slow, and increase the tempo a little each week ( if you have it down)
    3) 10 minutes everyday sounds about right
    4) know you are going to suck at it for a while .... you just have to believe you'll get there.
    that's enough numbers but I learned also by playing short phrases 2 sixteenths to a half note .. tu ku tu .... because it's easy. Maybe the beginning to the third movement of the Hummel... just a couple of measures.. for fun.
    and
    while you are learning double tonguing you might as well set aside for triple tonguing. ( Mahler 5th)