Double Tonguing Questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wezley, Nov 2, 2011.

1. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    to ko, tu ku , ta ka, te ke....it's all the same just different registers. You can also vary it depending on type of attack (doo goo and da ga were mentioned, there are others too)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I think double tonguing is hard starting out for some folks because their K tongues are way under practiced compared to their T Tongues.

Single tongue clarke #1 & #2 exercises with just the K tongue slowly until it sounds smooth & even, then you will see it is easier to interject the T tongue in between and you will be double tonguing. Then you can better develop the T-K-T-K eveness.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    we have T, K, D, G, R, L as consonants to articulate and A, E, I, O, U, Ä, Ö, Ü as vowels. Those good at multiplication can figure the rest out. Great players can even make the horn talk!

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    an umlaut???? a freaking umlaut???
    I do not have a clue how to pronounce those.... international forums you have got to love them
    and then some wise guy is going to tell me not to think when I play them .... buried ..toast

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Vee haff vays uff making you talk!

6. wezley

wezley Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2011
    Haha! I guess I'll just get use to Tu Ku'ing first then get to Ta Ka and build up the muscle over time and hope I can use those skills in a school peace. XD

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wezley,

the idea is to get the tongue to "float" on air. Then all syllables work!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  8. wezley

wezley Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2011
    Alright but I'm still a bit off on how to pronounce the Ä, Ö, Ü.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I find the Chinese Pinyin q and c to be pretty good too. The q is sort of ch and the c is sort of a ts. Chinese also don't have hard endings on vowels, so that helps too.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Ä" as in "bear," "Ö" I don't have an English simile for, "Ü" as in "beautiful." Babies, as they get into that goo-goo-gah-gah phase are able to pronounce anything in any language, but as we learn to talk, we discard the sounds we don't use, and learn not to hear them.