double tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Jan 19, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i can double tongue but only at a very fast speed that doesnt seem practical as a freshman trumpeter. Can someone explain how to slow down my double tonguing or reteach me this method it is needed for a new piece

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Not without a face to face lesson. Do you have a web cam?

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Bob really is giving you the best answer. I would question if you are really double tonguing if you can not do it slow. How did you learn without doing it slowly to start?

4. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Get the metronome out. Set it slow, start double tonguing. Gradually increase the speed till you can do it at all tempos. I find it useful to alternate single and double tonguing for as long as possible as you increase speed to try and get them to sound the same.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Kia ora Tunefultrumpet - I have to disagree with the ".... gradually increase ......" part of your advice. I feel that you MUST step well beyond your limits for any advance to occur - you have to stretch to change, I think. The gradual bit doesn't work so well - I joined a show band to stretch myself so that I could settle well into a less challenging stage band, and it has worked well for me. Stretching seems to work better than sliding through your advancement.

6. FlugelNoob

FlugelNoob Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Aren't double tounging meant to be used in fast places? Why would you want them slow anyway? :dontknow:

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Conductors are experts at finding tempi just a bit too fast for for single and very difficult for double. That's where to hang out.
    Scheherazade can be fun in the hands of some conductors.
    You can't single tongue too fast or double tongue too slow!
    Wilmer

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i sadly dont have a webcam, and i learned while out on the marching field from a senior who told me to say ticket, i admit it works. but i am one who works with these sounds so anybody who can give me any of them or hints on how to do this would be great

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No way. It isn't a double tongue. What you are describing may be a flutter tongue. An untrained tongue will not have the dexterity to articulate evenly. This is why we advocate teachers - then there is no mistake about what is tonguing, range or endurance.

The only option that you have is to learn it right the first time: tu - ku - tu - ku just like Arban, Clarke, St. Jacome and many other teachers have more than amply notated.

10. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Rowuk is right, it is very possible that you aren't really double tonguing, but actually flutter tonguing, or using a "di-ga-da" flutter. If it sounds sloppy or poorly executed at a slow tempo, this could be it. However, I'd advise you to just practice it slowly, it may not sound pretty at first, but it will improve and you'll be very happy that you did it later on down the road!