double tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    As with some of the above suggestions I could suggest what to do, but if your approch to the articulation isn't right, It really won't help. Even 1 or 2 lessons with a local teacher would get you started in the right direction.

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    I remember My freshman marching show required double tonguing and it was horrible trying to learn it, however i remember hitting it for the the first time as well, what i found is that i lacked the air speed, so instead of focusing on you tongue, focus on the air, let your tounge hit right in the meaty area of the roof of your mouth just before it thins out to the gums, making a light ta sylible then add the ka while continuing a steady air flow continue this, at first this may seem futile, however just keep adding air and all of a sudden it'll hit you, when you feel the true double tongue, youll know it...

3. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    The footnotes in the Arban's book also suggested Tee-kee as another syllable for double tonging and actually recommended it over tu-ku as it tends to "pull the sound down and make it dull". But I guess it's a preference like every other method I've been reading about.

I was going to post another thread on this topic but I guess I'll just post it here. When exactly do you double or triple tongue? Is it just whenever you encounter eighth and sixteenth notes, or is it when you're playing these notes with stacatto?:dontknow:

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    My old director had us double tongue during a fan fare even if it was slow enough for single tonguing. also, its possible to change the style of double whether it be lagato or stacatto, by making you tongue stiff or... "less stiff"... also in swing charts you can double tongue for a cool feel, at least i think so...
    i find i can do just about all tongue parts i need with double, so i just dont use triple.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I double and triple tongue when that sound fits right. There is a pretty big overlap in what works how fast. Believe me, when you have built some skills, you will know when to use it. Before that time, mostly when things are too fast for the single tongue - if your tongue does not feel like a boat anchor..........