Double Tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KMRoark, May 7, 2011.

1. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    My teacher told me to practice tu-kuing everywhere. I can do that but when I put my mouthpeice up to my mouth, it just doesn't work. My teacher says that he says ti-ki instead of tu-ku but it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Any advice would help.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Instead of working directing on double tonguing, practice some simple tonguing exercises with just "ku" tonguing. Try to make it strong and as clear as you can. This can often be the trickiest part of multiple tonguing.

Then, start the double tonguing exercises reaaaally slowly. Not speeds where you'll need it, but speeds where you can here clearly and refine the sound. Gradually work up the tempos and you'll be fine :-)

3. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    Thank you for your advice. I have just been working on my chromatic and saw a reply.
    Also, my teacher said to work on triple tonguing before double tonguing, any advice there?

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

To me there's no real difference - I learned how to do both because I needed them for a concert (over my head as a freshman in high school), so I wasn't particularly worried about which to work on first :lol:

The only "tricky" bit of multiple tonguing for me is ensuring I get the same sound on both syllables, and blow through the notes.

5. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    Sorry for all the questions but what position should your mouth be in when you are kuing?

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I wouldn't worry about it - IMO you're probably thinking about it too much if you're worrying about that. Instead of going "tu" go "ku"

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Get good at single tounging the K's first. Until you can do that then all you are doing is gagging.

The problem with double tounging is that it requires interrupting the airflow in two different positions: the tip of the tounge (the "T"), and the back of the tounge (the K).

There are a few different ways to think about the syllable: KAY, KEE, KAH, KUH. The point is to find where in your mouth you are comfortable tounging with the K position.

Then you practice single tounging the K (whichever you like) until you can K-Tounge about as well as you can single tounge normally. If you are doing it right it will be hard for a listener to tell which one you are doing.

THEN... you can start alternating the T's & the K's. You are looking for clean attacks (not slobbery mushmouth) and even sounding tones on each syllable.

Later, it is the same process for triple tounging... just a different pattern:
    TKT's and KTK's . You practice until your KTK's are as good as your TKT's... then start alternating them.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    You are getting really good advice. I was very frustrated while learning to double toungue. Everything sounded sloppy and uncoordinated. Just terrible. Then, I tried a new strategy. I did as everyone said. I did simple scale exercises and K-tounged it only every night for about 15 minutes. I focused solely on K-tounguing first until it sounded like single-tounging. At the same time, I was practicing the double-tounging pattern off horn, relentlessly. Then, one day when the K-toung sounded perfect, I just started double tounging and it worked. Everything just clicked.

Good Luck

BrotherBACH

9. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    Thank you all for helping me with this. And like BrotherBach said, I'm getting really good advice. I can already see a long process ahead but I know it will be totally worth it. Thanks again,
    KMRoark

10. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    That's exactly how I re-learned double-tonguing when I started playing again after many years. The "ku" or in some case "ga" is the most important and difficult part of the procedure, so practicing that first to me really made sense.