Double-tounge + speed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ska, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Hello everybody,

Since I'm new in these forums, I'll introduce myself.

My name is Alvin, I am 18 years old and I've been playing the trumpet since I was about 7 years old.
    I had the sound very nice, but I was quite slacky on the technical part. Namely, I wasn't really practicing much later years, because of puberty and alcohol and you know what else little kids do. Things got quite bad and 3 years ago I quit playing. But now, I guess I've grown up, I've realised how much I miss the horn and I did get one to use so I'm practicing every day.
    I am currently staying on the low/medium register. From, say, the low F# to 2nd C (1st C the 0 point if you're confused). I am practicing cromatic, different scales within these limits. Also playing looooooong notes to build endurance. Now the problem, well not a problem exactly, but a wish. I am also practicing articulation with different speeds. I can manage double-tounge up to a certain speed ( which is not very fast), but when I try to double-tounge fast I am only able to hold it in rhythm for about 2 or 3 seconds, cause I lose control over it quite fast. Is there any kind of articulation practices which help to improve double-tounge?

Thank you for reading :)

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The trick to double tonguing is single tonguing.
    work up your single tonguing, and the double tonguing is easier
    So, clarke technical, portions of arban (I don't have it in front of the moment) can help you with you single tongue, and bring up the double/triple

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Don't go fast until you can go slow for a long phrase with no difficulty. Then increase tempo by small increments, and stay there on each increase for a week. If you can do it faster w/o tripping up, then bump it up again.

v

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

I practice things like Clarke Studies three different ways. First I do them slurred. Then I'll do them single tongued. Then I'll do them all K tongued (or for me, GU). I do these at a therapy tempo to make sure the attacks are crisp and that folks listening can't tell the difference. The I put it all together and to double or triple tongue. When I do the TK or TTK thing, I work the tempos up using a metronome as the guide.

FWIIW coming from me.

Nick

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Practice makes perfect. To perfect something, you need to turn it into a habit. That means between 5,000 and 10,000 repetitions. There is no other way. We measure success in months and years.

I have experimented with students. If they practice regularly, they develop the same regardless if they stick with tukutukutuuuh or do all single tongue, then all K tongue and then finally double tongue. The accent MUST stay with slow and precise and then accelerate. Do not play on the border where it becomes unrhythmical. Bad habits are tough to unlearn!

6. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Yes, rowuk, I understand it takes years to get a hold of something as sophisticated as playing the trumpet. I am well-disciplined, I practice the horn every day. All sorts of technical stuff. And right now I am doing single tongue and K toungue with the same speed. One time one and one time the other. And then I experiment whether I can put them together.

However, can you guys tell me exactly what are Clark Studies or something. Because I don't really anything about it :/

Also thank you all for replying :=)

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria