Double Tounge

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
  2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Heh, nice video,
    try doing what he says slowly and build it up,
    if you have the arban, it has a section on that
    If you don't, get it, and then find the section :D

3. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    how are you supposed to do your tongue lyk that! i mean dnt u jst tighten your lips n sorta blow in it. How can you move your tongue n all that? Isnt it all to do with your lips?

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

It sounds like you might be really new to the horn, but basically sound is produced by holding air, but to start the air cleanly we need to begin the air with a consonant sound with a vowel following, such as "da" or "ta" or "te"
    "d" and "t" are the two most common ways i've heard to begin, but the vowel is the most important part
    what double ("da-ga") or triple ("da-da-ga") tonguing does is alternates the tongue from the top and bottom of the mouth, which aids in creating faster tonguing.
    However, it is advisable to develop one's single tonguing before moving to multiple tonguing

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer i am very new ive had only 1 lesson. And i wanna learn more my lesson was on 30min and really in that time it was just an intro to the trumpet.

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

That's the way it goes...

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Double tonguing is, in simple terms, getting two articulations or notes from one tongue movement. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DOUBLE TONGUE UNTIL YOU HAVE ESTABLISHED YOUR PLAYING. Attempting too early can lead to problems that can interfere with natural, relaxed production.
    One step at a time. It would be unwise to try to leap to the third floor in one go

8. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    thanks ozboy. I cant even imagine doing it lol. i am Aussie as well

9. Huff-Puff

Huff-Puff New Friend

Mar 28, 2008
    Whisper Ticker-Ticker-Ticker with your teeth clenched and you'll get a good feel for what the tongue is supposed to do. I'd 2nd what Ozboy said. Don't try to run before you can crawl!!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    I am really getting to like you. One lesson and you already can't get enough. I do not know what you are on, but I wish it was available for a lot more players. That is the stuff that FIRST trumpet players are made of!

That being said, let's not put the cart before the horse. Your first job ist to learn how to get big, relaxed air through the horn. Do a search on "circle of breath". That is the basis of all playing. Once your air/lips/brain are synchronized, you can devote some time to cutting the air up with your tongue! If you jump in too soon, it is tougher to clean the act up!