Double Tounging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rain, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Rain

Rain New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Kingston, TN
    Hi, I have hear several ways to triple and double tounge, ta-ka to-ka, and kity kity kity, I have been working on it by myself at home recently, I can do it great... untill I put the horn to my lips, then it takes more time for me to play notes double toungeing then regular. any suggestions, I thought mybe Practice would just be the key but I still can't do it

Rain:-)

2. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Do you have a Private Teacher Rain?

3. Rain

Rain New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Kingston, TN
    No, I used to I had one the first 2 years I played, I will of been playing 5 years this Christmas, I took Private Lesson from a student who was majoring in Music from The University Of TN, he had been playing for about 13 years and was still takeing messages, he was pretty good, but... money and stuff you know? I play in my Highe Schools Band and My Director is a Trumpet player though so I still get some help.

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Try pushing more air through. You can do it without your trumpet because there is no resistance. Now that the trumpet is in your face and your lips are buzzing you have to make sure your air flow is still getting though. Don't necessarily play louder just make sure your air is much more supported. There's a lot more for your air to work against when you're playing and once you start blocking it with your tongue you just have to push it through more.

Good luck
    Eric

5. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Well thats your problem. Practice it slowly with your horn, or with your mouthpiece first.

6. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    A good book before hitting studies, repertoire, arban's etc... 240 double and triple tonguing exercises by Victor V. Salvo , read the notes by the author, use a metronome and tape yourself. In addition practise just the k sound ie. 4 quarter notes each C major scale KA KA KA KA and just pronounce the syllables on your own time without the horn. I used to take walks(still do) and do tonguing exercises based on the pace of my walks. The tongue is a crazy muscle and it needs to be put thru a workout everyday!Be patient and use the book!When your done there's tons of repertoire awaiting you!Have fun!

7. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    I like some of the multiple tonguing exercises out of the Vizutti books

8. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Sure! And you can take any part of a study, and turn it into an exercise other than it's first intention.I took all the Clarke studies and made them just K tongue, then single, double, triple, doodle(jazz style) etc.... play around with the repertoire have fun and be musical. Here's an outstanding book written by an outstanding teacher! " A Comprehensive Practice Routine For The Aspiring Brass Player" by Don Johnson go to Chase Sanborn's site chasesanborn.com Chase has great books too!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hey Rain, time to get all Zen on you--in addition to all the above, try to relax your tongue while tonguing, and let it kind of melt in your mouth. Resistance does make tonguing more difficult, so sometimes playing with a mute (especially a practice mute, like the Yamaha Silent Brass) will make the tongue work harder, thereby forcing us to relax more. Give it time, too--it is somewhat akin to riding a bicycle or swiming. Have fun!

10. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    One of my teachers told me to speak (out loud) the phrase "TehTihKuhNeTihKut" It looks like nonsense, I know, but it's kind of neat when you try it. Now do it over and over without stopping!

The other thing that's always worked for me is to practice the multiple tongue at three speeds each day.

1 - Really slow. Long notes (ToooooooKuuuuuuuuToooooooKuuuuuuu etc.)and try to make the T and K sound the same.

2 - Whatever speed you sound the best at. Faster than above, but don't push it.

3 - As fast as you can, even though it probably sounds pretty rough. Don't spend an inordinate amount of time on this part, but don't be afraid to push the limits of what you can do.

You don't need to do it in any particular order, it's just easier to explain as slow/med/fast. This has always worked great for me...Good Luck!

Jason.