double/triple/jazz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 18, 2006.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    How useful is double and triple tounging in playing fast Jazz and Latin Jazz riffs or solos? Does someone like Dizzy G. use it?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Woody Shaw and Freddie Hubbard are known to sometimes use double tonguing I think.

A lot of guys use doodle tonguing. Clifford Brown and Clark Terry especially.

Use whatever feels right to you.

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I'll have to listen to the players you mentioned to see if I can spot when they use double tounging. I'm just starting to work seriously on double/triple tounging. I meet infequently with a teacher, but I'll bring this up at the next lesson. I hope you and others on TM will share your experience (difficulties, favorite exercises, length of time it took to learn) and wisdom about mastering this technique.............thanks

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Clifford had a really fast single tongue. Clark Terry has the best triple tonguing I've heard from a jazz player, along with the doodle tongue. A solid double and triple tongue is essential in jazz as well as any other style.

Michael McLaughlin

I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
    Albert Einstein

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I thought "doodle" was a typo in Brekelefuw's thread, but I see you're using it too. What is "doodle tongue"?

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I was discussing Clifford's amazing tonguing with one of my teachers. He was adamant that Clifford doodled everything.

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I looked at that Clark Terry Master Class for "doodlen". It was fun, and useful, thanks.