Doubling euphonium and trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Hi there,

On Saturday I started playing the euphonium on account of the only grade 5+ euphonium player leaving the band this July. I love the euphonium's tone, so I was delighted by the chance to play it. I've been playing quite a bit over the weekend, and I've taken to it like a cat to my bed (I think that's the expression...), in other words, I have the technical ability to play all the pieces from band, and my tone is coming on wonderfully. Although I realise this is the honeymoon period and advancements will come much more slowly in the future, I'm very happy with how it's going.

That is, until I picked up my trumpet today... I won't bore with the details, but I sounded similar to Maynard Ferguson (when he first picked up the trumpet)... Anyway, my question is, to anybody with experience in this, how should I lay out my practice.

Should it be an hour trumpet followed by an hour of euphonium; an hour euphonium followed by an hour trumpet; play them simultaneously (that is, a piece or exercise on one followed by the same on the other); or just try them all and see what works best. I obviously would rather avoid the latter (hence the post) though it's probably the most likely, so that I can save myself a lot of time. Any advice to be had?

Thanks in advance,
    P.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Thats easy, get a bass trumpet!

In reality, I find it hard to go from trombone to trumpet and the only thing to do is play both regularly. I find it easier to go from trumpet to bone, not the other way around.

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Yeah, that's what I've found as well, the trouble is that at my music centre, I will be playing euphonium then trumpet then euphonium again, so I have to switch both ways...

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Your best thing to do is just do that in practice. Spend like 5-10 minutes on each and switch. This could be hard and kill your endurance.

5. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I have 9 months until I'm thrown into the world of principal euphoniumism, so even if it kills my endurance, I should be okay :)

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I recently purchased a bass trumpet for myself for Christmas, and love it. At first I would practice the bass trumpet for about a half hour then go on to my cornet. The problem was that while working on the bass trumpet developed my air, and warmed up my chops, it felt like I was buzzing into the end of a straw when I began to work on the cornet. However, I found that if you follow this routine, then it might be necessary to work with the trumpet/cornet mouthpiece for a few minutes. It is doable. I now prefer to work it the other way around. That is, to practice my cornet first and then use the bass trumpet workout as a warm down.

7. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I think that will be a good compromise, at least for the moment as I have exams restricting my practice time, and am also going on a music course next month, where I'll be playing the trumpet. After that I'll experiment and see what works for me, thanks for the help.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    another TM'er here -- has some good posts on trombone "local357" -- so you can go there and find his posts. I just got an OLDS slide bone this week. Local357 suggested in another post to only do the trombone/baritone (after) the trumpet for the first month or so. AND GO EASY on the bone ---and NOT go wild like you apparently have. So far this week I have played a simple C scale on the trombone ---and limited it to 10 minutes a day ---AFTER TRUMPET practice is over, and at the end of the night -- so I have nearly 22 hours before I pick the trumpet up again ---- I have (SO FAR) no ill effects from the trombone. EVENTUALLY as local357 states in another post -- (a few months) you can start switching easily back and forth, and that is when your trumpet playing and trombone playing will show much improvement --------then you "just work them both in" --------------------but, again, it looks like there is a need to EASE into the doubling ---and Euphonium AFTER cornet ----------------------

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    When I doubled on valve bone I found that at first it felt funny to go trombone to trumpet. Since I was going to need to make fast switches, I practiced going between the two. After a short while I adapted and was able to make the switch without any problems. How you switch is entirely up to you. I would do it say every 10 or 15 minutes or so to get used to the switch. Playing bone helped my trumpet chops.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, that is the reason enough for me to go get a slide bone!!!!!!!!!!!