Doubling euphonium and trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Jan 9, 2012.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Try a Tenor (Alto) Horn - the MP is smaller than a 'bone MP.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I once had a job playing euphonium--just a couple of times a week, Hope this helps. but it lasted over a year. Never had a steady trumpet gig that lasted that long. Anyway, it was killing my trumpet playing--so basically I quit practicing the euphonium--just playing when I was being paid to. If I had to work a piece I only did about 15 minutes a day. And, as best I can remember, I practiced euphonium at the end of my regular practice time---but I always picked up a trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn before I actually quit.

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Thanks for all of the help

From what you all have said, I'm going to be gradually working the euphonium into my schedule over the next month where I have restricted playing time and trumpet concerts, and then after that I'll be switching frequently during practice so that I get used to doubling, does that sound about right? thanks.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Yes!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Some days I practice trumpet in the morning and euphonium in the afternoon and never have I actually doubled where it was a switch in parts of a song or from one song to another. Though a distinctly different embouchure, I don't seem to have a mouthpiece change problem. Perhaps I should also say I'm playing the euph mostly in the treble clef or just shifted an octave lower which by sound it is.