Doubling on another band instrument

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, Aug 31, 2010.

1. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    My son is interested in starting another band instrument rather than playing trumpet in school band (since it will be a beginner band and he's been playing trumpet for a while).

Which other instruments are the most compatible with trumpet? He seems to be leaning to French horn. Should he get a horn mouthpiece with a rim like his trumpet piece? Do such things exist?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd suggest drums, and I'm not joking.

If he learns drums, it will lock in some rhythmic concepts that might otherwise take longer to learn, and it won't mess with his trumpet playing. I'm both a drummer and a trumpet player and that combination works well for me. There was even a time as an Army National Guard Bandsman where I played in the percussion section rather than the trumpet section, and they were glad to have me there. They had trumpet players coming out of their ears but only 3-4 percussionists, so they moved me back there and I became the dedicated cymbal player (both crash and suspended) for the summer concert series. Don't laugh - it's nothing like the wind-up monkey playing cymbals, and it was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

3. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Percussion was my first suggestion, but he seems to have zero interest in it. Similar answer for playing a string in school orchestra.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Show him some YouTube videos of snare drum lines and kit drummers like Dave DiCenso, Dennis Chambers, Neil Peart, David Garibaldi (Tower of Power) and that kind of thing. It might change his mind. :-)

5. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    Trumpet is my off instrument, and horn is my main. It's doable, but you'll never be a great horn player on a trumpet embouchure, and vice versa.

Percussion, piano, strings. Get him a guitar, if it works. Messing around with an underdeveloped embouchure is a sure way to get stuck on one, the other or be worthless for both.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Piano and keyboards would be my suggestion.

Other than that, a sax or trombone.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Band - wind ensemble with percussion, usually - piano or keys wouldn't have much of a place there.

Sax or trombone? I wouldn't want to mess with the kid's embouchure too much - sax would be one thing, but it's so unrelated to brass I wouldn't want to go that way with it.

It's kind of a tough thing - I still think that percussion and drums is the way to go, but if the kid isn't interested...not much you can do there.

8. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I know horn requires a completely different embouchure to get the right sound (and the low range), though the idea isn't to be proficient. He just wants to have fun with it, play with his classmates and not be bored sick.

Can trombone and trumpet use the same embouchure? There certainly seem to be plenty of guys who can play both very well.

I think single reed woodwinds have you biting down on your lower lip don't they? He's not much for woodwinds anyhow.

Like I said, I'm with you guys that I'd rather him not play another instrument with his mouth, but I'm not going to tell him he can't be in band unless he plays percussion.

9. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    RichJ:

I started on trumpet in 7th grade and was persuaded by my best friend to join him in the french horn section in 8th grade. I played french horn throughout high school and became proficient on the instrument. The ENTIRE time, I wished I was playing trumpet!

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    He really can play any instrument he wants too. You just develop two different embochures. If he likes french horn I'd say let him. It's a different animal than trumpet so he should just use a regular french horn mouthpiece. Plus your band director probably would love to have a horn player in the band.