Doubling on another band instrument

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I played low brass (Baritone/Euphonium/Tuba) for a long time. All it takes is more air and learning to read bass cleff notes.

But, if I had it to do over, I would do as trickg says and play percussion - but not just drums and cymbals - I would play the musical percussion (xylophone, vibraphone, marimba) - those are really cool instruments.

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Al Cass did make a trumpet to french horn mouthpiece if you want to try that, but that wouldn't be my first suggestion.

Ask him if he wants to learn piano- it is a rhythmic instrument, but he can still play melodies and chords. If he's into jazz or ever gets into jazz, the payoff will be huge. Moreover, there are no embouchure/interference problems to deal with

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290462354192
    Here is an example of a trumpet to french horn mouthpiece- as you can see, it is quite expensive, and at this point, it will be hard to find.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Did I miss something here, or are others missing it? The idea here is so the kid can take beginning BAND and not mess up his trumpet playing. My understanding is that the kid has already been playing trumpet for a while and therefore will be way ahead of the rest of his beginning band class, so his folks want to give him the opportuntity to learn another BAND instrument. (see: wind instruments or concert band percussion) Piano, unless things have changed since my school band days, is not a band instrument.

4. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    I dunno... I know this guy who plays both, and he was, I believe, first horn in State Honor Band last year. I have also heard him play the trumpet, and Jesus, the guy can scream.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The question is what a high school band director now wants re a "horn". Does he/she now want a true French horn or a marching French horn, the first fingured with left hand and the second with right hand, noting that the second is in a trumpet configuration and now a wrist concern due to weight. I had the ability to play both, and moreso lower bass horns.

6. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    I agree with TRICKG. Stick to band instruments....

7. gerry

gerry New Friend

Jul 8, 2010
    England
    Trumpet is my main instrument and a year or two after I began trumpet I learned the sax. It DidnĀ“t affect the trumpet playing at all, it justgave me another outlet and I really enjoyed it

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    French horn is tough compared to most anything else. If your son has a strong personality and doesn't get frustrated easy, it is a pretty cool thing. I played bari sax, tuba, trombone and baritone horn in highschool along side the trumpet.

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    How into band is your kid, or how likely do you think he is to pursue it beyond beginning band? If he's totally into band, and likely to work hard at becoming a great player on trumpet, I'd say stick with a totally different instrument like percussion so as not to jeopardize trumpet (especially xylophone etc. - side note: I once saw a jazz combo in a hotel of all places, where the trumpet player doubled on xylophone, sometimes playing both at the same time!!...AND...he was fantastic on both.)

If it looks like he'll just be a casual player let him do whatever and have fun (on your dime of course).

10. Mitch_M

Mitch_M New Friend

Sep 1, 2010
    I bought a German tenorhorn and a euphonium months after starting to learn cornet, trumpet, and flugelhorn.

The first time I tried to play the cornet after playing the euphonium for an hour or so my tone was bad and I couldn't hit any high notes, and the mouthpiece felt tiny after having had my lips in that egg cup on the euphonium.

Since then I've found it works out better if I practice high brass first, and then low brass.

Not wanting to mess up my high brass embouchure has made me more disciplined with practicing, instead of just downloading sheet music and learning tunes for fun.

I figure it's like playing both tennis and badminton. A lot of the same muscles are involved and it's just going to take effort to learn the proper technique for both.

Someone in the band Beirut plays both trumpet and euphonium.

As for your son, he should play something that he will enjoy playing so that he will be motivated. I got so bored with the clarinet in junior high that I quit practicing and got kicked out of band class. Perhaps if I had been aware of klezmer music it would have been a different story.