Doubling On Trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jul 20, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I recently purchased a P-Bone. Partly for the novelty and partly because I have been wanting to learn to play trombone for a while. Tonight I started working on the trombone a little. Learning positions and how to read bass cleff. My question is for anyone that has had success with being proficient on both instruments. When I lay the trombone down and pick up the trumpet if feels a little weird and my tone doesn't seem to be as full before playing the trombone. What are some good ways to be able to switch between instruments without losing ground on the trumpet? Is there anything that should be avoided? I want to learn both but not mess up my trumpet playing. I think it would be fun to double in the big band on the same tune for solos.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Talk to Local 357, he is big on doubling. I tried doubling but didn't have the time to devote to it. From what I've hard, you need to double practice time, which makes sense. But like I said, Local will be your man

3. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Depends on what you mean by "proficient". I play trumpet, euph, and valve trombone and enjoy them all. If I had to earn a living with a horn, I'd probably have to pick one and stick with it. There aren't enough hours in the day to hold down a job and practice all three to mastery... Not for me, anyway!

4. chierholzer

chierholzer New Friend

May 31, 2012
    Chicago
    i taught lessons on trumpet, trombone, baritone & french horn. After a while you get used to switching back and forth, But it is a strange feeling at first. I found baritone to be quite easy. Trombone got easier after I worked a little on memorizing the positions. But french horn was tough for me, never liked to play it.