Doubling on trumpet and trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thaibo93, Dec 30, 2010.

1. thaibo93

thaibo93 New Friend

Oct 5, 2009
    So here's my story.

After ruining my trumpet chops during last years marching band season, I decided to switch to euphonium for concert season and take a break for trumpet. Currently, Euphonium is my primary instrument for concert band. I've been playing trombone for about 4 or 5 months on the side now and have currently joined jazz band as a trombonist. Only at home have I been lightly practicing trumpet, with a lot of long tones and lip slur exercises.

I want to continue playing music after high school for a hobby. I don't plan on a career in music, but I would like to play for jazz bands or orchestras. The problem is, I seem sort of confused on which instrument I should pursue. I know there aren't many opportunities to play euphonium in an orchestra or in a jazz band.

My current plan seems to be doubling on both trombone and trumpet, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea and I have no idea if I play well enough to even play in a band as a hobby.

I guess I'm asking two things.
    1) Should I double on trumpet and trombone?
    2) What would be the best route for me if I wanted to continue playing as a hobby?

Also, are there any exercises that help with doubling?

2. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    I know a number fo trumpet players who also play trombone. One of the top lead players in the Baltimore area plays a mean trombone. Maynard also played trombone

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    A well rounded musician always has the advantare of having diverse experience. I say go for it. Ive always wanted to double on harp, its so similar to the trumpet, should be a piece of cake. Go for it with the two instruments, and get into community band asap even before you are out of school. Have a blast. Best wishes.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I used to play in a big band where the second trombone played a valve trombone, sounded real good.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    tobylou8 likes this.
  6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    thaibo93,
    You said you have a concern about if your ability is good enough to play in a local band. Doubling is not going to help your ability to become proficient at either instrument. I think you should pick the instrument you enjoy the most and work on that one. If you ruined your chops marching, unless you did physical damage you can work on getting them back. If you feel better on trombone then work on it until you have confidence in your ability. When you get good at one you can add another. A doubler is valuable only if they are good at both.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. thaibo93

thaibo93 New Friend

Oct 5, 2009
    That has been my main concern. Whenever I practice, I practice a mostly trombone and euphonium, and a little bit of trumpet on the side. Should I just focus on being proficient on trombone and then start working on doubling? Or can I gain proficiency at both at the same time?

9. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    If you decide on trombone then work on it and get good at it. Playing a little trumpet on the side can be fine if it doesn't take away from your serious trombone practice. This is just my opinion. In a multitude of counsel there is safety.
    -Bobby

10. melodictrumpet

melodictrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I don't double on trombone but I do play (french) horn for a community band and trumpet professionally, and I've notice that horn playing has positively influenced my trumpet playing. Because slotting is so difficult on horn as I've worked to gain accuracy on horn so I'd stop cracking notes my trumpet accuracy has reached the point where I pretty much never miss notes unless I finger them wrong. I've also achieved better intonation since french horn involves so much lipping things into tune. Its also helped to increase my air stream and breath support while playing trumpet. While you're playing trombone and not horn you'll probably find some trombone technique like having a good ear to find notes on the slide and using more air slipping into your trumpet technique.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011