Doubling on trumpet and trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thaibo93, Dec 30, 2010.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Thanks - the Bass Clef requires me to think "downward" -- as opposed to treble clef that I learned trumpet on - we worked from the bottom and up the scale - if that makes sense to anyone -- so I have trouble thinking "downward" the scale in Bass clef

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "Lady GAGA" for the bass clef, bottom line G, space above A. Top space G, line above A.
    In ascent it is GABCDEFGA BCD EFGABCDEF from Bass thru Treble clef.

3. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Just for the record, every trumpet player who tries to double on the bone is not successful. Several musicians in the community band I play with were asked to play with the pit orchestra (band, in this case) for a 7 night gig of Cole Porter's Broadway musical "Anything Goes." None of our trombone players could make the performances so, since I had played the bone on some rare occasions, I agreed to pick up a valve trombone and learn the "bone" parts. We had about 3 months to prepare for the show. By performance time I thought I was ready and played reasonably well for the first 6 performances. About halfway through the last night's performance my chops totally failed -- I shot airball after airball, unable to produce anything close to a good sound, embarrassing myself and creating problems for the cast as well as for other band members. Not a pleasant experience -- I am no Ralph Morrison. It is going to take days, if not weeks, to regain my trumpet chops. Anyone out there interested in buying a good valve trombone????

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Uhm - as my post previously stated --- you have to do THE TIME on both instruments --- you got to keep both embouchures in shape --- ALWAYS

5. casbonano

casbonano New Friend

Jun 17, 2011
    Neenah, WI
    So I rented a trombone and have been giving it a light hearted go for a few days, but those few days have taught me about breathing and air! When I get back on my trumpet my notes are fuller, more controlled and more pleasant. I think my tone has improved 10 fold from a week of pushing air through the 'bone. It's a 30 day rental, and I will probably return it then and stick with the trumpet. I just kinda dig it more. If I wanna get a little mellower I can always get a flugelhorn.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I picked up an Olds Ambassador Trombone a few years back -- for $45 bucks ----- and you can get a plastic P-bone for around $150 -------- I am always going to be convinced that doubling on trombone has always helped my trumpet playing ---------------------------- my advice? get a trombone, you will never be disappointed, unless you don't put in the time!!! ---

7. casbonano

casbonano New Friend

Jun 17, 2011
    Neenah, WI
    Nice. I think I will take that advice and purchase this King 606 my local shop is selling for $170 (old student rental, made in the USA). I love the sound of the trombone, and clearly see how it has so far benefited my trumpet playing. At the very least I will become intimate with the bass clef & I am sure it can do nothing but help my sense of pitch.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes the trombone has many other benefits - pitch centering, Bass Clef, and in my community band the trombone players are in the FRONT row for parades --- so I absolutely volunteer for parade duty with the trombone ---

9. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Wow this thread is old!

I saw a broadcast of James Morrison at the 1991 Montreux Jazz festival, and was hooked! I have played trumpet for over 30 years (some of which was a break and a comeback during which I relearnt my embouchure from scratch). I always loved the sound of the trombone, but it was only two years ago that I had the opportunity to buy a good intermediate model for a very reasonable price. I have loved every minute of learning to play it, although two years later, I'm still not good at reading bass clef, and I can't always find the right note! I still love it.

What I noticed, is that from the moment I started playing the trombone, my embouchure got better. Partly due to the lower notes, and therefore more relaxed embouchure, my trumpet chops became more relaxed, but more secure, much like as I hear people say after they do pedal notes. I did go through a stage where my trumpet chops lost the ability to buzz, so I know what that is like too, but by focussing on trumpet, and playing trombone as a side, it gives me the right balance. It has also helped my high register, as the breathing required for a trombone is essential, but often neglected on the trumpet.

All in all, I recommend it for those curious. My only two cents worth is that I get annoyed with the student instrument sound on both trumpet and trombone, so I waited until I had the chance to buy a good intermediate instrument. Well worth the wait, the sound and slide action are both worlds apart from the cheaper models.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Great post Redintheface --- I empathize with reading Bass clef, it's my 3rd yr on trom and I still dont read bass clef well