Doubling Trombone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blasphemy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Blasphemy

Blasphemy New Friend

Jun 24, 2011
    North Andover, MA
    Hey everyone,

So a jazz band I'm in would like me to learn trombone for a few songs, and I'm was interested in learning the instrument anyways. However, after trying both for a few days, my tone has begun to get worse (on trumpet, that is). I expected this, but does anybody have any tips on how to deal with this? Also, what would be the optimal practice schedule to keep this up (trumpet, then trombone, or vica versa)?

Thanks,
    Blasphemy

2. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Maynard Ferguson played trombone and Baritone horn on many of his tunes.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The optimal practice schedule is at least double what you had with the trumpet alone.

If your trumpet chops are not really stable yet, trombone will just confuse them even more.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'd plan on not cutting your trumpet practice time and adding 30 minutes or so for trombone playing.
    I never had any problem with switching between the two (and Maynard obviously didn't)

Some people definitely do - one of my old teachers couldn't switch between the two (he said he did for one concert and then swore to never do it again).

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I asked my college band director about the same thing, he was a monster trombonist who use t play trumpet untl he ruptured his lip, .... he said I would have to double my practice time and that I would only be able to play at about 80% on trumpet ...
    I tend to agree that it depends on who you are..

6. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    I know several pro's in the area who double on low brass with no ill effects, but I would not assume it will work for you. I doubled on baritone and sousaphone in high school and a little bit in college, but my doubling was more determined by my ability to read the different clefs than my technical skills.

7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hmm, monster trombonist who ruptured his chops. Give you a little pause??
    I'd also tred carefully. I double some, but only some, and know of two local pros who double plenty, but most of the great trumpet players I've come across play only their trumpet. Be prepared to devote plenty of extra time; it's a different feel, a different clef, a different machine, behind and in front of the mpc. I do love playing it, however.

ed

8. Blasphemy

Blasphemy New Friend

Jun 24, 2011
    North Andover, MA
    Thanks for the advice! I've been playing for about four days now, and my tone on the trumpet sounds about normal at this point (at first), though trombone will need some work...

I've basically been playing about a half hour on trumpet, half hour on trombone, and finishing with a half hour to an hour on trumpet. The last hour never sounds too great, though...

9. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Allow time to rest between the different horns. Beating your chops into shape is not as productive as developing them gradually and carefully.

10. Jorto131

Jorto131 New Friend

May 19, 2011
    I play both trombone and trumpet in the jazz band and when I was learning the trombone the only issues were learning the clef and getting used to the mouthpiece because it felt like I was putting a coffeecup on my face compared to a tpt mouthpiece.