Doubling Trombone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blasphemy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Not an expert, but seems like you could leverage it to do some cross training. Give your face a break and work on your breathing with the trombone, then back to it. Evidently trombone needs more air than trumpet. Also give you a chance to bone up on the ear.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  3. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Andre Hayward plays trombone, but also plays alto horn and trumpet, and plays wonderfully on anything he touches.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Before my recent health and dental debacle, I was again playing all the instruments from piccolo trumpet down to tuba (it could have been Sousaphone, but I didn't have one). This is about the same as I was capable of before I went into USAF and "lost" my horns via first wife. Well, such earlier time I hadn't yet played a piccolo trumpet, as I did on my comeback and no doubt will again sometime soon.

My summary is that some can and some have a much more difficult time trying to.

In my earliest it was a requirement due to the shortage of band members who went off to war in WWII. The war took approximately 85% of our senior boys and approximately 35% of our juniors. This I know was the major reason that I was selected to play in the high school band when I was only in 8th grade ... not because of my skill then. There were just 9 of us with 5 stripes on our band letters when I graduated HS and 3 of them were girls.

However, I am selling my old King trombone (student quality), whereas my euphonium covers the range except for the most perfect slur.